COVID-19: Assam releases 1,659 inmates to decongest jails
Assam Inspector General of Prisons Dasarath Das saidthe authorities are considering to release more prisoners inthe coming days and evaluating proposals for sending to theCentre for consideration.
"As per the guidelines, we have released a total of1,659 inmates so far from different jails across the statesince the coronavirus crisis emerged. This includes 1,591undertrials, who were released on bail and personal bonds," hetold .
Das said that another 68, who are convicts, have beenallowed to go home on annual leave from different jails.
Eligible convicts get 30 days of annual leaves foremergency purposes as per the rule.
"We have received proposals of parole from 18 convictsand they are eligible for that. So, we will release them in aday or two," the IG said.
He further informed that the jails had released a hugenumber of inmates under remission during the 150th birthanniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
"We are looking at it again now. If we find sucheligible prisoners, we will send the proposals to theGovernment of India for consideration," Das said.
On March 23, the Supreme Court had directed all statesand Union Territories to constitute high-level committees toconsider releasing on parole or interim bail prisoners andundertrials for offences entailing up to seven-year jail termto decongest prisons in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
A total of 8,810 inmates are currently lodged in 31jails across Assam.The state has six central jails, 22 district jails,one open-air jail, one special jail and one sub-jail. TRSOM SOM
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- Here is a list of bank holidays in October 2022
- An Apple executive is leaving the company after being filmed joking about fondling 'big-breasted women' in a viral TikTok video
- RBI hikes repo rate by 50 bps, taking it to a three-year high of 5.9% – Das says inflation at ‘alarmingly high levels’ across jurisdictions
- Best camera phone under ₹15000
- Best 5G mobile phones under ₹20000
- 22 lakh Indian IT professionals likely to leave jobs by 2025: Report
- OnePlus says successfully geared up for 5G launch with 5G-ready smartphone portfolio
- This website generates videos from a single image and text for free – here’s all you need to know