COVID-19 death toll rises to 25 in Odisha
Two women, aged 48 and 39 years, succumbed to the disease at a COVID hospital in Ganjam district, he said.
"Regret to report the death of two COVID positive patients of Ganjam district while under treatment in hospital. The 39-year-old woman was also suffering from chronic kidney disease," the official said.Of the 25 deaths so far in Odisha, Ganjam, the worst-hit district, accounts for 14, followed by five in Khurda, four in Cuttack, and one each in Bargarh and Puri, he said.
The state had reported its first COVID-19 fatality in Bhubaneswar on April 6.He said 206 more people, including a man from the National Disaster Response Force, tested positive for COVID-19, raising the state's infection tally to 7,065.
The NDRF man was placed under institutional quarantine after his return from West Bengal, where he had gone for restoration work in the wake of cyclone Amphan, the official said.With this, the number of disaster response personnel testing positive for the virus increased to 293. Nine BSF jawans were also infected with the disease, the official said. Of the 206 cases, 192 were detected in quarantine centres where people returning from other states are housed for preliminary observation, while fourteen others were found during contact-tracing exercises.
The fresh cases were reported from 22 districts. Malkangiri recorded the highest of 36, he said.
Other districts that reported a high number of new cases are Jajpur (28), Koraput (18), Cuttack (17), Jagatsinghpur (17), Bolangir (16) and Deogarh (15).At present, Odisha has 2,087 active cases, while 4,946 people have recovered from the disease
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- Best broadband plans in India in 2021 – JioFiber, Airtel Xstream Fiber and ACT Fibernet
- IPL 2021: Royal Challengers Bangalore have beaten Sunrisers Hyderabad 7 out of 18 times they played each other
- Publicis Groupe consolidates Data Science, Programmatic and Media Tech with Zenith and Starcom, under a common leadership
- Here are the 7 Indians who will be a part of Cannes Lions Jury this year
- CBSE Class 10 board exams cancelled, Class 12 exams postponed as COVID-19 cases surge