Deadline to link Aadhaar and PAN extended to 30 June, 2023
- The extension provides
taxpayersthree more months to link PANto Aadhaar.
- As of date, more than 51 crore PANs have been linked to Aadhaar.
- From July 1, 2023, the PAN of taxpayers who have failed to link it to Aadhaar will become inoperative.
AdvertisementThe deadline to link PAN and Aadhaar has been extended to 30 June 2023 from the earlier deadline of 31 March 2023. This has been done to provide some more time to taxpayers to link their PAN to Aadhaar without facing any repercussions. From July 1, 2023, the PAN of taxpayers who have failed to link it to Aadhaar will become inoperative. Not linking the two will have the following consequences:
No income tax refunds will be made against such PANs. Interest shall not be paid on refund for the period during which the PAN remains inoperative. Also, tax deducted at source (TDS) and Tax collection at source (TCS) will be deducted at a higher rate. The PAN can be made operative again upon the initiation of Aadhaar to the prescribed authority after paying a fee of ₹1,000.
Some persons are however exempted from PAN Aadhaar linking. This includes those residing in specific states, non-residents, those who are not Indian citizens or individuals who were aged 80 years or more at any time during the previous year.
Steps to link PAN and Aadhaar
PAN and Aadhaar can be linked online by following the below steps:
- Open the Income Tax e-filing portal - https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/
- Register on it (if not already done). Your PAN (Permanent Account Number) will be your user ID.
- Log in by entering the User ID, password and date of birth.
- A pop up window will appear, prompting you to link your PAN with Aadhaar. If not, go to ‘Profile Settings’ on the Menu bar and click on ‘
- Details such as name and date of birth and gender will already be mentioned as per the PAN details.
- Verify the PAN details on screen with the ones mentioned on your Aadhaar. Please note that if there is a mismatch, you need to get the same corrected in either of the documents.
- If the details match, enter your Aadhaar number and click on the “link now” button.
- A pop-up message will inform you that your Aadhaar has been successfully linked to your PAN.
- You may also visit https://www.utiitsl.com/ OR https://www.egov-nsdl.co.in/ to link your PAN and Aadhaar.
Adani group stocks tumble, eroding ₹58,240 crore market capitalisation: All ten stocks close in red
India now has a vending machine for Biryani. Here’s everything to know about it
REITs and InvITs become attractive after major taxation overhang removed
Popular on BI
- Over 60 schools in and around Bengaluru receive bomb threat, students evacuated safely
- TVS Motor Co sales rise 31% to 3,64,231 units in November
- Johnny Depp unknowingly taught Ranveer Singh the craft of acting
- Midcap index rising for last 21 sessions, hitting fresh highs since November 16
- Global smartwatch shipments up 9% in Q3, Fire-Boltt & Huawei hit new highs: Report