Parcel trains loaded 20,474 tonnes of essential goods during lockdown
These trains which transport essential items like medical supplies, medical equipment, food, etc in small parcel sizes have been a part of efforts by the railways to ensure supply of essential items across the country during the lockdown.
Railways have decided to run time-tabled Parcel Special trains on select routes, to ensure uninterrupted supply of essential items.
"Zonal Railways are regularly identifying and notifying routes for these Parcel Special trains. Presently these trains are being operated on 65 routes," it said.
These routes have been identified to include regular connectivity between major cities of the country, like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bengaluru and Hyderabad, connectivity from state-capitals/important cities to all parts of the state, ensuring connectivity to the North-eastern part of the country.
It also enables supply of milk and dairy products from surplus regions like Gujarat to high demand regions and the supply of other essential items like agricultural inputs, medicines, medical equipment, etc) from producing regions to other parts of the country.
"On April 14, till 18:00 hours, 77 trains were run, out of which 75 were time-tabled Parcel Special trains. 1, 835 tonnes of material was loaded, giving an earning of Rs 63 lacs to Railways in one day.
"The total number of trains run from the lockdown period till 18:00 hours on April 14 is 522, out of which 458 have been time-tabled trains."20,474 tonnes of consignments have been loaded, and the earnings have been around Rs 7.54 crores," the railways said. ASG GJS RT
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- It's never been more clear: companies should give up on back to office and let us all work remotely, permanently
- Amazon is investigating its lawyers for allegedly bribing Indian government officials
- Mossad assassinated Iran's top nuclear scientist using an AI-powered, remote-controlled machine gun, report says
- Durex takes down its latest social media post on the bus scene from Netflix’s Sex Education after internet users call it ‘insensitive’
- Three reasons why this might be a good time to buy Bitcoin
- Sony ZV-E10 vlogging camera with interchangeable lens launched in India
- US, India, Japan, Australia to sign pact for stepping up chip production, reduce dependence on China
- Here’s how to schedule an email in Gmail