PM Kisan Scheme: Tamil Nadu ₹110 crore scam is a reminder that you may be ineligible even if you are a farmer
- The Tamil Nadu government has uncovered a scam amounting to over ₹110 crore in the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Scheme.
- Under the PM-Kisan scheme, the central government offers small farmers ₹ 6,000 per year directly into the bank accounts of farmers in three equal instalments.
- Here’s a list of who all are not eligible for PM-Kisan scheme
AdvertisementThe Tamil Nadu government has uncovered a scam amounting to over ₹110 crore in the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Scheme. In some Tamil Nadu districts, ineligible people availed the cash assistance using false information, with the help of government officials and local-level Tamil politicians.
The scam first gained attention when the District Collector ordered a probe at Cuddalore district when more than 100 non-farmers received the PM-Kisan aid.
According to reports, many of the beneficiaries who were registered for the scheme were unaware of the scam. The scammers posed as officials and sought their details, saying that the beneficiaries could receive “corona cash” from the government.
The scammers then used the login details of agriculture department officials to upload details of eligible farmers in the portal. And, in return, they collected around ₹6000 from each ineligible beneficiary to help them avail the scheme.
DMK president, MK Stalin alleged that the scam runs into several crores of rupees. Tamil Nadu CM Palaniswami's home district, Salem alone, has about 10,700 fake farmers that have taken about ₹4 crore under the PM Kisan scheme. He added that ₹4.20 crore had been recovered from fake farmers in Cuddalore district and Villupuram district.
The TN government said the case is being probed by the Crime Branch-Crime Investigation Department (CB-CID), and 16 persons have been arrested so far. The TN Chief Minister has promised action against those who are involved in the scam. The state Agriculture Secretary Gagandeep Singh Bedi said the government has already procured ₹32 crore till date from the accounts of the accused.
What is the PM-Kisan scheme?
Under the PM-Kisan scheme, the central government offers small farmers ₹ 6,000 per year directly into the bank accounts of farmers in three equal instalments.
Here’s who all are not eligible for the PM-Kisan scheme
- Institutional landholders are excluded from the PM-Kisan scheme.
- Present and retired employees of state or central government.
- Citizens with higher economic status are also ineligible to receive the benefit.
- Citizens who pay income tax.
- If anyone from the farmer family holds a constitutional post.
- People in professions other than farming like doctors, engineers, and lawyers.
- Retired government pensioners with a monthly pension of over ₹10,000.
- Farmers’ families with cultivable land holding of less than 2 hectares in their names.
- Small and marginal farmers' families from both urban and rural areas of India.
PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana’s installment — how to check in 5 easy steps
Popular on BI
- Delhi to Kochi - Indian destinations international travellers are looking for in 2023
- Post pandemic, more organizations are moving towards e-recruitment, says a survey by HirePro
- Sensex, Nifty decline for 2nd day on selling in FMCG, steel stocks
- Foreign investors continue to pull out of Indian stocks, sell equities worth ₹3,431 crore in Feb so far
- Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit jumps 91% to ₹1,588 crore, misses estimates