PM Narendra Modi visits Ladakh – two weeks after the Galwan valley standoff with China

IANS
  • Modi is also expected to address the 14 Corps officials and meet soldiers who were injured during the Galwan Valley clash with China.
  • The prime minister is accompanied by Chief of Defence Staff, General Bipin Rawat and Army Chief General MM Naravane.
  • This came a day after Defence Minister Rajnath Singh had put off his planned visit to Ladakh, according to official sources.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has reached Leh and will be visiting Ladakh later in the day to review the security situation amid border dispute with China. Modi is also expected to address the 14 Corps officials and meet soldiers who were injured during the Galwan Valley clash with China.

The prime minister is accompanied by Chief of Defence Staff, General Bipin Rawat and Army Chief General MM Naravane.

Modi’s visit comes a day after Defence Minister Rajnath Singh put off his planned visit to Ladakh, according to official sources. Earlier, the Army Chief Army General MM Naravane was expected to accompany the Defence Minister.

Advertisement

The Indian and Chinese armies are locked in a bitter standoff in multiple locations in eastern Ladakh for the last seven weeks. The tension escalated manifold after 20 Indian soldiers were killed in a violent clash in Galwan Valley on June 15. The Chinese side also suffered casualties, but it is yet to give out the details.

Earlier on June 30, both the military delegates met for the third time in Eastern Ladakh to resolve the border issue, which went on for around 12 hours. After which China agreed to move back to Pangong Tso, but they did not. India claims Line of Actual Control at Finger 8, and Chinese PLA is sitting between Finger 4 and Finger 5.

Despite all the talks, the PLA continues to earmark its territory at all the standoff points by physical deployment, military commanders told Hindustan Times.

Advertisement

India has also deployed its Army and Air Force to prevent any further escalation. Yesterday (July 2), the government also approved a proposal for procurement of 21 MiG-29 fighter aircraft, along with upgradation of 59 Mig-29s, and 12 more Su-30 MKI aircraft from Russia.

To strengthen the armed forces for defending the borders, the Defence Acquisition Council meeting, chaired by Rajnath Singh, accorded approval for capital acquisitions of various platforms and equipment required by the three services.

"Proposals for an approximate cost of ₹38,900 crore were approved," a Defence Ministry statement said.

SEE ALSO: IIT Delhi researchers say green tea, black tea, haritaki have anti-viral capabilities to fight coronavirus
Pakistan is trying to ‘piggyback’ on India-China border dispute as LoC ceasefire violations triple
Advertisement

{{}}