Accused Capitol rioter who yelled at police for 'protecting pedophiles' served jail time for statutory rape of a 14-year-old girl, report says
- During the
Capitol riot, Sean McHugh used a megaphone to accuse police officers of "protecting pedophiles."
- McHugh served jailed time for the statutory rape of a 14-year-old girl in 2010, CNN reported.
- He is charged with eight federal crimes relating to the deadly insurrection.
A man accused of storming the Capitol and yelling at police officers for "protecting pedophiles" previously served jail time for the statutory rape of a teenage girl, according to a review of court records by CNN.
Footage obtained by the Metropolitan Police Department reveals that Sean McHugh used a megaphone at the Capitol riot to heckle police officers. "You guys like protecting pedophiles?" he said, according to federal prosecutors.
Yet, ironically, McHugh was convicted in 2010 on a California state charge of unlawful sex with a minor,
He was sentenced to 240 days in jail and four years of probation for the statutory rape of a 14-year-old girl when he was 23, former prosecutor Todd Kuhnen told the media outlet. McHugh pleaded no contest to the charge, Kuhnen said.
The Californian has been in jail since his arrest on May 27.
He is charged with eight federal crimes relating to the Capitol riot, including physical violence on Capitol grounds and assaulting a
Videos from January 6 show McHugh pushing a large sign into a line of uniformed police officers, spraying an unknown chemical at officers, and encouraging others to be disruptive, federal prosecutors said.
At the time of the deadly insurrection, he was on probation for driving under the influence and driving with a suspended license, the criminal complaint shows.
According to Insider's searchable database, more than 500 people have been charged in the Capitol insurrection so far.
- No crypto ban in India — SEBI will reportedly be pulled in to regulate the sector
- I tried a calendar that's meant to boost productivity by mapping out the number of weeks you have left to live — here's how it went
- I wore the same outfit for a week, as part of a productivity hack promoted by Steve Jobs — but it didn't really work. After speaking to psychologists, I'm not surprised.
- Samsung launches Galaxy A03 Core with 6.5-inch display, 5,000 mAh battery, starting at ₹7,999
- Nifty 50 goes below 17,000-mark on rising Omicron cases, fear of lockdown
- Indian government is reportedly looking to regularise work from home with a comprehensive framework
- Companies raised ₹52,759 crore from IPOs till October this fiscal, says Nirmala Sitharaman
- WPP acquires branding and design agency Made Thought