Disney Plus executive Agnes Chu is replacing Condé Nast Entertainment president Oren Katzeff, who made offensive jokes about women and people of color

Incoming Condé Nast Entertainment president Agnes Chu, who is leaving her role as senior VP of content for Disney Plus.Morgan Lieberman/Getty Images
  • Disney executive Agnes Chu will take over as president of Condé Nast Entertainment in September.
  • Chu will report to Condé Nast CEO Roger Lynch.
  • She will replace current Condé Nast Entertainment president Oren Katzeff, who has come under fire from his staff for the company's metrics-based video production as well as his offensive tweets about people of color and women.
  • Katzeff will have a new role at the company, though a Condé Nast spokesperson was unable to reveal any details.
Advertisement

Disney executive Agnes Chu will take over as president of Condé Nast Entertainment in September, the company announced on July 31.

Chu, who has worked at Disney for 12 years, is leaving her role as senior vice president of content Disney Plus. She will report to Condé Nast CEO Roger Lynch.

Condé Nast Entertainment is the publisher's video-production arm. It produces videos branded with the names of Vogue, Bon Appétit, and Condé Nast's 15 other titles. Its content is hosted primarily on YouTube, but also Netflix, Vice TV, and Amazon.
Advertisement
Chu, an alum of Harvard and Columbia Business School, is entering Condé Nast Entertainment at a challenging time for the company.

She will replace current Condé Nast Entertainment president Oren Katzeff, who has come under fire from his staff for the company's metrics-based video production, as well as for his offensive tweets about Mexicans and women, according to recordings of Zoom meetings reviewed by Business Insider.

Oren Katzeff, the outgoing president of Condé Nast Entertainment.Alexandra Wyman/WireImage; Samantha Lee/Business Insider
Advertisement

One of Katzeff's tweets from 2010 reads: "Earlier today, I saw a girl wearing a shirt that said 'No means Yes!' That might explain why the guy holding her hand was smiling…" The tweet has since been deleted, according to a report from The Daily Beast.

Katzeff will have a new role at the company, though a Condé Nast spokesperson declined to comment on what the role would entail. Condé Nast staffers have pushed back on several of the video production arm's recent decisions around employment. One recent example includes the suspension of Bon Appétit video editor Matt Hunziker, who a Condé Nast spokesperson previously told Business Insider was under internal investigation.
Advertisement

Employees told Business Insider that they believed the suspension was likely retaliation for Hunziker's social media posts critiquing Bon Appétit's treatment of employees of color.

{{}}