Indonesia records single-day high in new cases
The health ministry said there were 993 newly infected people over the past 24 hours. Indonesia has confirmed 30,514 cases, including 1,801 deaths, the most in Southeast Asia.
Finance Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati said a 677.2 trillion rupiah (USD 47.6 billion) stimulus package aims to strengthen the health care system, direct more spending toward social protection to boost consumption, and provide incentives to rescue Indonesian businesses from bankruptcy and workers from layoffs.The package is bigger than the one worth 641.17 trillion rupiah initially allocated in late April. Advertisement
"We are hoping that this stimulus can maintain our economic growth at above zero percent," Indrawati said at a live-streamed news conference.
She said Indonesia's GDP growth could be lower than the government's prediction of 2.3 per cent this year. In the worst-case scenario, the government expects the economy to contract 0.4 per cent, she added.Indonesia's economy grew just 2.9 per cent in January-March, the slowest growth in almost two decades, as the pandemic made its effects felt in exports, investment and consumption in Southeast Asia's largest economy. (AP) PMS PMS
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- Global vaccine plan may allow rich countries to buy more
- China bags Iran’s friendship with a loan — costs India the crucial Chabahar port project
- UK bans Huawei from future 5G network
- Google Cloud's Confidential Computing encrypts customer data in-use
- Spotify’s new feature wants to point Indians to the ‘top’ and ‘trending’ podcasts in India