Netflix is launching an e-commerce site to sell show-related merchandise like anime hoodies and $60 'Lupin' throw pillows
Netflixhas opened an online shop selling products inspired by shows like "Lupin" and "The Witcher."
- Current offerings include hoodies, necklaces and a Kendama toy, all inspired by "Yasuke" and "Eden."
- It is only running in the US for now but will expand to other countries in the coming months.
Netflix is launching an e-commerce site selling merchandise inspired by its shows, The New York Times reported on Thursday.Netflix.shop will serve as "an exciting new destination combining curated products and rich storytelling in a uniquely Netflix shopping experience," according to a press release statement from Josh Simon, Netflix's vice president of consumer products.
"We love it when great stories transcend screens and become part of people's lives," Simon said in the press release. "We're thrilled to give fans a new way to connect with their favorite stories, and to introduce them to the next wave of artists and designers who embrace the power of storytelling in all its forms."Netflix declined to comment on the shop's launch.
Netflix has previously struck deals with companies like Amazon and Walmart to sell products tied to its content, the Times reported. The new online shop allows Netflix to further capitalize on viewer interest in merchandise to help make up for lack of advertising revenue since the streaming site, unlike many of its competitors, doesn't run ads.The launch comes shortly after a disappointing quarter for the company; Netflix reported adding just under 4 million subscribers in the first quarter of 2021, falling short of its forecast of 6 million new subscribers. This quarter, Netflix is expecting just 1 million new members.
- Delhi reports its lowest daily COVID-19 cases in 104 days, records 213 single day COVID-19 cases
- Here’s how to recharge your Reliance Jio on WhatsApp
- India may classify Bitcoin as an asset class, but that may not solve the underlying problem
- Facebook rolls out new chat themes and payment options in Messenger app for US users
- Dodla Dairy's ₹520 crore IPO isn't to expand into new markets but to strengthen its foothold where it already exists