New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has been re-elected in a landslide
New ZealandPrime Minister Jacinda Ardernwas re-elected to a second term, winning a landslide victory on Saturday's election.
- Ardern's Labor Party won 49% of the vote, 20% over the opposition party, and the highest result since New Zealand adopted the current mixed-member proportional system in 1996, according to CNN.
- Ardern has been praised for leading the response to the coronavirus pandemic and fighting against sexism and racism.
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern was re-elected in a historic landslide on Saturday, winning her second term in office.
Ardern's Labor Party won 49.1% of the vote. It was more than a 20% margin against their opponent, the conservative National Party, which won 26.8% of the vote, according to the BBC.The Labor Party scored the highest result since New Zealand's current mixed-member proportional political system was first adopted in 1996, according to CNN.
Ardern has been praised for her leadership in steering New Zealand's response to the coronavirus pandemic. The country's early lockdown efforts, widespread testing, and contract tracing allowed the nation to record a 102-day streak without cases of coronavirus until August, which prompted Ardern to reinstate a lockdown.By September, restrictions were lifted again in all areas outside of Auckland, where the August outbreak stemmed.
Since taking the role in October 2017, she has been a vocal opponent against sexism and racism, and was widely praised for her strong and compassionate response to the the Christchurch mosque shootings in 2019.Ardern is New Zealand's youngest prime minister and the third woman to take the role.
- Read more:
- New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has been praised for her response to the coronavirus pandemic, with some saying she 'squashed' the curve. Here's everything you need to know about her.
- People around the world are praising New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern for her compassionate response to the Christchurch mosque shootings
- New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said she 'did a little dance' when she found out the country had no active coronavirus cases
- New Zealand's Jacinda Ardern hits back at Trump, saying he is 'patently wrong' to suggest her country is experiencing a 'big surge' in coronavirus cases
- Compound Interest Waiver Scheme applies to everyone but provides limited relief — Here’s everything you need to know
- Best budget truly wireless earbuds in India
- India is the most attractive emerging market for clean energy investment, says Prime Minister Modi
- Tata Motors may report loss for yet another quarter led by weak JLR sales, commercial vehicles’ pain
- Supreme Court jumps in for Amazon and Flipkart after Karnataka High Court remains mum on investigation against their anti-competitive practices for over 200 days