Oregon minister rebukes Marjorie Taylor Greene for touting Christian nationalism in political messages: 'She dances with the devil'
- An Oregon minister slammed Rep. Greene for pushing Christian nationalism in her political comments.
- Rev. Chuck Currie called Christian nationalism a "racist ideology incompatible with Christianity."
A minister in Oregon this week rebuked Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene's embrace of Christian nationalism — an ideology he said is "incompatible with Christianity."
Rev. Chuck Currie responded to a social media post from Greene, where she called liberals "godless" and bragged about being a "proud Christian Nationalist."
"The left has shown us exactly who they are. They hate America, they hate God, and they hate us," Greene tweeted on Monday night.
In response, Currie tweeted: "Unlike Marjorie Taylor Greene, I've studied the Scriptures & devoted myself to serving the Church."
Unlike Marjorie Taylor Greene, I've studied the Scriptures & devoted myself to serving the Church. Christian nationalism is a racist ideology incompatible with Christianity. Jesus was for all the world, not one nation. Beware false teachers like Greene. She dances with the devil. https://t.co/077Te6OBCX— Rev. Dr. Chuck Currie (@RevChuckCurrie) July 26, 2022
Currie, who is a chaplain emeritus at Pacific University in Oregon, added that he thought Christian nationalism is a "racist ideology incompatible with Christianity."
"Jesus was for all the world, not one nation," he tweeted. "Beware false teachers like Greene. She dances with the devil."
Christian nationalism is not the same as Christianity — it is a right-wing ideology that, among other things, advocates against the separation of church and state.
Reports from CNN and The New York Times have tracked how fringe conspiracy theories have taken hold in the movement, and how far-right politicians like Lauren Boebert, Doug Mastriano, and Greene, have espoused these messages.
This weekend, former President Donald Trump, too, appeared to push messaging in line with the tenets of Christian nationalism, telling a conference crowd that "Americans kneel to God, and God alone."
Currie and representatives for Greene did not immediately respond to Insider's requests for comment.
- Budget to aid flagging affordable home segment, boosts demand with infra push
- BYJU's slashes over 1,000 jobs, mostly from its engineering teams
- Budget 2023-24: Positive for infra and credit growth
- Budget 2023-24: Continued focus on infra to enable growth, create jobs & enhance quality of life
- Budget 2023 proposes 20% TCS on foreign expenses under LRS