Photos show the devastating aftermath of severe flooding in Buchanan County, Virginia
- Photos show the devastation caused by severe flash floods in Buchanan County, Virginia, Tuesday.
- Over 100 homes have been affected by the floods, officials said. The more than 40 unaccounted for have been found.
Photos show devastation to Buchanan County, Virginia, after flash floods rocked the community on Tuesday.
Six inches of rain fell on the county in just hours, CNN reported.
Officials initially said more than 40 people — including adults and children — were unaccounted for after severe flooding hit the southwestern Virginia county.
On Thursday, officials announced at a press conference that all 44 unaccounted for residents were found.
—Isabella Ledonne (@IsabellaLedonne) July 14, 2022
Officials guessed that many of the reports of unaccounted-for loved ones were for people trapped inside their homes with no access to cell service or Internet connection.
The Sheriff's Office said there are no confirmed fatalities or major injuries from the floods as of Wednesday night. The office did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
Officials said at a press conference Wednesday that search and rescue efforts were underway but were proving difficult because the damaged areas are hard to reach because of landslides and blocked bridges.
They added that the flooding reached "well over 100 houses," but that the severity of the damage "is not as extensive" as the damage done to homes in last year's floods in Hurley, Virginia.
The damage has affected a stretch of ten miles, officials said, making it more widespread than last year's floods.
Officials said the flooding is likely due to the amount of rainfall in the nearby river valley in such a short amount of time. Most of the damage, they said, is downstream from where a number of rivers converge.
- Apple to launch new MacBook Pro models next month
- Amazon witnessed record Prime sign-ups during the Great Indian Festival Sale 2022, 68 percent from small towns
- Agnikul to launch Agnibaan rocket before 2022
- BYJU's clears ₹2,000 cr dues to Blackstone in $1 bn Aakash deal
- India installs avalanche monitoring radar in Sikkim
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Rice and Pulses
- IIT Guwahati
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- Biggest Billionaires
- Sundar Pichai
- Home Loan
- Vinod Shantilal Adani
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Accenture earnings forecast
- India's Richest People
- Best 5G Smartphone
- Rana Kapoor
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World