Police arrested a man in California accused of stealing 42,000 pounds of pistachios
- A man in
Californiawas arrested after being accused of stealing 42,000 pounds of pistachios.
- Between 2014 and 2017, nut heists resulted in losses worth more than $7.6 million.
- BuzzFeed News reported thieves forged documents and faked businesses to divert and steal shipments.
On Saturday, California police arrested a man accused of stealing a tractor trailer carrying 42,000 pounds of pistachios.
"Yesterday, investigative leads in Fresno and Kern County discovered the tractor trailer containing the pistachios had been moved from the Montemayor Trucking lot in Delano to a nearby lot," police said in a statement posted Saturday on Facebook. "Detectives found that the pistachios were being moved from 2000 pound sacks into smaller bags for re-sale."
This isn't the first time a truckload of pistachio nuts disappeared in Central California. Last August, another man in California was arrested and charged in a pistachio heist valued at more than $294,000. Last July, two men were arrested and accused of posing as drivers picking up a shipment at an almond and pistachio distribution center.
The pistachio industry generates a sizable impact on the US economy, with California pistachio farmers generating more than $5 billion in the state's economic output and resulting in more than 47,200 jobs, according to a March study.
"Nuts are an ideal high-priced items to steal and resell because unlike electronic devices, pistachios don't have serial numbers - making them virtually untraceable," The Washington Post reported.
Nut heists were on the rise between 2014 and 2017 after organized
"By then, it's already stolen, sold, and shipped off to wherever," an official with CargoNet told BuzzFeed at the time.
The heists have become less common in recent years as companies adopt new protocols to better track the shipments, such as taking photos and thumbprints from drivers, Capitol Press reported.
- Paras Defence and Space Technologies IPO: Here’s how to check allotment status
- Google’s birthday: Here's a look at the significant milestones in Google's 23-year history
- Dolce & Gabbana want to make Elon Musk the ‘King of Crypto’ — but only if he can shell out more than ₹3.8 crore for the ‘Doge Crown’
- Buy biodegradable sanitary pads for women in India
- Best baby booster seat in India
- Amazon-backed Capital Float plans to go big in the buy now, pay later segment; raises $50 million
- Where Indians work — seven charts that show you the employment map of the world’s sixth largest economy
- Alibaba, Binance, Sparkpool and other companies are scrambling to avoid any heat from China over crypto concerns
- Freshworks IPO
- Paras Defence and Space IPO
- Instagram Posts
- Mukesh Ambani
- Apple iPhone 13
- Girish Mathrubootham
- ITC Share Price
- OnePlus Nord 2 smartphone
- Upcoming Movies in India
- New Smartphone in India
- Finolex Cables Share Price
- Paras Defence and Space IPO
- Epic Games
- Elon Musk
- Aditya Birla Sun Life
- Rajasthan PTET 2021 result