UK to offer COVID vaccine to all children from age 5-11
The government said young children will be offered a low-dose COVID-19 shot on a "non-urgent" basis beginning in April in England. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland also announced similar measures.
"Parents can, if they want, take up the offer to increase protection against potential future waves of COVID-19 as we learn to live with this virus," Health Secretary Sajid Javid said.
The government's independent vaccine advisory committee said while the virus does not pose a threat to most children, a very small number who are infected will develop serious disease.
Around 85% of the 12 and older population in the UK has been fully vaccinated, but the country has lagged behind the United States and European countries like France, Germany and Italy in vaccinating younger children.
Currently, children 11 and under are only eligible for a vaccine if they have medical conditions that put them at serious risk of complications from coronavirus.
Authorities said Wednesday that young children will be offered two 10-microgram doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, with an interval of at least 12 weeks between doses.
New coronavirus infections have fallen in many parts of the UK, although the number of cases by age group remained the highest among schoolchildren. The official statistics agency reported Wednesday that around 1 in 13 or 7.6% of children ages 2 to 11 were likely to have had COVID-19 last week.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to outline his government's long-term strategy for "living with COVID" on Feb 21.
Johnson said last week that all remaining domestic restrictions in England, including the legal requirement for infected individuals to self-isolate, could be lifted within weeks.
England has already scrapped most restrictive measures, such as mandatory face masks and vaccine passports for entering nightclubs and large events. Northern Ireland has lifted all legal restrictions.
- A Google engineer of 8 years says his 'spidey-senses' detected incoming layoffs — and felt 'isolated' when his 'faceless' severance email arrived
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- A Google recruiter says he discovered he'd lost his job after a call with one of his candidates suddenly disconnected
- Google may release Pixel Tablet Pro with Tensor G2 chip
- BMW launches its 3rd gen BMW X1 in India
- YouTube Music on the web gets mood filters
- Premium segment contributed 35% of overall smartphone market revenue in 2022
- US industry urges FM to rationalise, simplify direct and indirect taxes in India