Pittsburgh teachers will strike Friday without a contract agreement - meaning kids could be out of school for the first time in 4 decades
- Pittsburgh public school teachers delivered a note to the district Monday threatening a strike.
- If an agreement between teachers and district administrators isn't reached before March 2, students won't have classes.
- It will be the first strike in the district in more than four decades.
Teachers in Pittsburgh Public Schools are planning to strike on Friday March 2 unless a contract agreement is reached, CBS Pittsburgh reported.
The Pittsburgh Federation of Teachers, the union that represents public school educators, delivered a note to Superintendent Dr. Anthony Hamlet Monday providing a 96-hour notice so that parents can prepare for the strike, according to CBS. The note read:
"We provided the district with a 96-hour notice in order to provide extra time for our students' parents to secure childcare for their children, our students, and to provide the parties' with sufficient time to reach tentative agreement on new contracts for the three bargaining units prior to the commencement of the strike. We are hopeful that that extra time will allow the Federation and the District to work together to reach a fair agreement that both recognizes the professionalism and hard work of our members and serves the needs of our students and school system."
The strike would mean that more than 3,000 district employees would skip work until the district reaches an agreement.
If teachers and district administrators don't come to a deal before Friday, it will be the first strike in more than four decades.
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- A Google engineer of 8 years says his 'spidey-senses' detected incoming layoffs — and felt 'isolated' when his 'faceless' severance email arrived
- 6 signs that you're in a one-sided relationship and how to find balance
- Google may release Pixel Tablet Pro with Tensor G2 chip
- BMW launches its 3rd gen BMW X1 in India
- YouTube Music on the web gets mood filters
- Premium segment contributed 35% of overall smartphone market revenue in 2022
- US industry urges FM to rationalise, simplify direct and indirect taxes in India