India’s national capital is giving the ‘odd-even’ scheme another go to battle air pollution
- India’s national capital is implementing the ‘odd-even’ scheme to battle the city’s rising
- The scheme will be in effect from 4 November 2019 to 15 November 2019.
- Anyone found skirting the law will be fined ₹4,000.
AdvertisementIndia’s national capital Delhi is no stranger to air pollution. In fact, it’s one of the most polluted cities in the world.
The city’s local government is implementing the ‘odd-even’ scheme, yet again, to try and battle the growing environmental threat.
He also clarified that it will also apply to Delhi’s ministers and chief ministers. On the other hand, women-only vehicles, two-wheelers and cars carrying school children in uniform will be exempted.
Violation of the rules under the odd-even scheme will result in a ₹4,000 fine for the offenders.
Delhi is not the only one at fault
According to Kejriwal, the rising level of air pollution in Delhi can’t be wholly be blamed on the city. The crop burning after the harvest season in neighboring states is also a contributing factor.
"It is unjustified to only blame the residents of Delhi," he stated.
He also said that the SAFAR reports stating that only 10% of Delhi’s air pollution comes from stubble burning as inaccurate. This is because the right equipment to measure air quality and its sources accurately are still being imported and not currently in place, according to him.
India accounts for 7 of the world’s 10 most polluted cities — with Gurugram ranked as the worst: Study
Delhi to go ahead with odd-even scheme even as pollution dips by 25%
Fed up of pollution, more than 35% of residents in India’s capital say they want to move out permanently: Survey
Popular on BI
- A top AI researcher reportedly left Google for OpenAI after sharing concerns the company was training Bard on ChatGPT data
- An AI researcher who has been warning about the technology for over 20 years says we should 'shut it all down,' and issue an 'indefinite and worldwide' ban
- What is an indictment? What it means for someone to be indicted by a grand jury and why Trump was charged
- Amul hikes milk price by ₹2/ltr in Gujarat
- GST mop-up rises 13% to ₹1.6 lakh crore in March, second highest collection ever
- White House refuses to pay for Twitter's Blue verification: Report
- Italy bans ChatGPT, orders investigation over privacy breach
- IISc researchers design tiny supercapacitor capable of storing large amount of electric charge