US is conducting a clinical trial of a potential coronavirus vaccine — but it is atleast a year away
- According to Associated Press, it will take a year to 18 months to fully validate the vaccine.
- The first human participant is expected to get an experimental dose for the trial funded by the National Institute of Health, reported Associated Press citing an US government official.
- As many as 35 companies around the world say they are working on a vaccine with four say they are testing it on animals.
The Trump government hasn’t officially announced the clinical trials. According to Associated Press, it will take a year to 18 months to fully validate the vaccine.
The study plans to enroll 45 healthy volunteers aged between 18 to 55 years to conduct the research. All the participants will be divided into three groups. And each group will receive different doses of the experimental vaccine.
The participants can get $100 for each in-person visit or a total $1,100 given they successfully attend all 11-in person visits scheduled over 14 months.
Several pharmaceutical firms have been racing with time to develop a vaccine for the 2019 novel coronavirus or SARS-CoV2. Since the outbreak of the novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China, the virus has infected 171,045 people and killed 6,526 as of March 16— with most of the cases in China.
As many as 35 companies around the world say they are working on a vaccine with four say they are testing it on animals. The race to produce vaccination began soon after China shared genome sequences of the 2019 novel coronavirus strain. This allowed research groups a round the world to watch the live virus grow and study how it attacks human cells.
The potential vaccine was developed by $10 billion biotech Moderna just 42 days receiving the virus genetic sequence.
India too stepped up in creating ist search for a vaccine The Indian Council of Medical Research and National Institute of Virology have managed to isolate the virus. Isolating a virus is the first step towards making any medication or vaccination.
A local vaccine for coronavirus in India is still at least two years away.
AdvertisementNow you can track coronavirus numbers globally on Microsoft Bing website
Coronavirus: Maharashtra becomes Coronavirus epicenter with 33 infected cases
Popular on BI
- Unlike millennials, GenZ employees don’t want to quit but want fewer working hours
- IIT Bombay and JSW Group to establish a technology hub for steel manufacturing
- Realme 9i 5G Review - 5G Upgrade With Cosmetic Changes
- Top 5 automatic cars under ₹10 lakh in India
- India's demand for the yellow metal rises 43% in Q2: World Gold Council