Half of Republicans believe false narratives about the Capitol riot, poll says
- A Reuters/Ipsos poll found 51% of Republicans believe the Capitol rioters were "mostly peaceful."
- The poll also found that 55% of Republicans believe the riot was instigated by left-wing radicals.
- Both are false narratives pushed by former President
Donald Trumpand his allies after the riot.
Half of Republicans believe false narratives about the deadly Capitol riot, pushed by former President Donald Trump and his allies, according to a new Reuters/Ipsos poll.The poll of more than 1,000 adults, conducted at the end of March, found that 51% of Republicans believe that the people who gathered at the Capitol on January 6 were "mostly peaceful, law-abiding Americans," while 55% of Republicans said that the riot "was led by violent left-wing protestors trying to make Trump look bad."
Another popular theory on the right is that the riot was instigated by left-wing anti-fascist or "antifa" protesters, but the FBI has said there is "no indication at this time" that that was the case, according to Reuters.Of all those surveyed, 59% believe that Trump bears some responsibility for the attack. But when broken down by political party, just three in 10 Republicans agreed.
John Greer, an expert on public opinion at Vanderbilt University, told Reuters that the poll shows that Republicans "have their own version of reality" when it comes to the riot."It is a huge problem. Democracy requires accountability and accountability requires evidence," Greer said. The poll also highlighted how popular Trump remains as a potential 2024 candidate in the party.
Eight in 10 Republicans hold a favorable view of Trump, and six in 10 believe his false claim that the 2020 election "was stolen" from him. Six in 10 also believe he should run again in 2024.
- YES Bank launches a new musical logo to build a deeper connect with customers
- COVID-19: Students should leave hostels in Bengaluru if their institutions declare a holiday, says BBMP
- Non-banking finance firm Power Finance Corporation records 49% jump in net profits in FY21
- The Internet's original source code is going up for auction on Sotheby's as an NFT this month
- Best 55-inch smart TVs with 4K resolution