Putin is selling his $1 million watch, and it's one of the rarest and most expensive in the world
The Russian president will be offering his Patek Philippe 5208P, a watch at the top of the storied Swiss brand's line.The 5208P is an extremely complicated watch with features like a minute repeater (the watch will chime on demand when a button is pressed), a chronograph (a stopwatch), and a perpetual calendar, which takes leap years into account.
It's unclear what year Putin's watch is from, as the documentation is not dated, but it appears that it was purchased in London.In some respects, it's not surprising that Putin would be selling such a rare and expensive watch. He's a noted watch fan, appearing on many occasions with watch selections only an aficionado would choose. The cost of these watches are several times higher than his declared salary of an estimated $112,000 a year.
Some have doubted that this is actually Putin's watch as the accompanying documentation says. Though Patek retailers are told to print the real name of the new owner when it is delivered, there's no way to verify it. In addition, Putin's middle name is usually spelled with an "H" in English.The auction for the watch does not yet have an estimate, though it's certain to be high.
- Apophis, the ‘God of Chaos’ asteroid is speeding up — increasing the likelihood of it hitting Earth in 2068
- Sputnik V: RDIF seeks vaccine's speedy registration, prequalification from WHO
- Ankhi Das quits as Facebook's India public policy head
- States urged to adopt national approach: Niti Aayog on 'free vaccine'
- Analysts expect no surprises from Axis Bank in the second quarter — loan growth and collections to be slow