8 symptoms of the most common STDs explained
- There are millions of new sexually transmitted infection diagnoses every day.
- If left untreated, STIs can lead to infertility, pelvic inflammatory disease, and sight or hearing loss, among other chronic conditions.
As sexually transmitted infection (
There are dozens of sexually transmitted infections, which primarily spread through sexual contact, according to the CDC. The four most common STIs are chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis and trichomoniasis, and there are an estimated 374 million new infections each year, according to WHO.
If left untreated, STIs can lead to conditions like infertility, hearing or sight loss, ectopic pregnancy, and pelvic inflammatory disease. Some STIs can also increase a person's risk of cervical, vulvar, vaginal, penile, or anal cancer.
And if you test positive for an STI, treatment options may include doctor-prescribed antibiotics or antiviral medications, or if the STI isn't curable, treatments for reducing symptoms. If you're sexually active with multiple partners, getting regular STI tests can also prevent their spread.
Here are eight common STIs, how they're transmitted, and their symptoms.
- 'Die-hard' Nintendo fan spent over $40,000 buying stock and then asked top executives why the company won't make more of a fan-favorite series
- Mark Zuckerberg told Meta staff he's upping performance goals to get rid of employees who 'shouldn't be here,' report says
- Four-days work week, full and final settlement within 2 days of exit — new changes at workplaces to reflect from July 1
- It’s not the CM seat but the one who wields ‘bow and arrow’ will be the Sena head
- SIMPLY PUT: extreme weather is the new normal in India
- Antonia Wade, PwC's global CMO, tells Insider how B2B spending changes in tough economic times
- Ban on single-use plastic kicks in across India as the country recognises the choking impacts of plastic waste on the environment
- Bank FDs will draw down from mutual funds if interest rates go up to 7.5-8%, says report