Meet the MIT professor who thinks he's found biotech's 'holy grail'
Courtesy of MIT Sloan
Welcome to Insider Healthcare. I'm
- A finance whiz thinks he may have solved biotech's clinical trial problem;
- Take a look at the presentation a concierge emergency-care startup used to raise $30 million;
- At least 75 lawmakers bought and sold COVID-related stocks during the pandemic.
More than 90% of drug trials fail every year. A finance expert wants to help pharma predict when it will happen.
- MIT's Andrew Lo is known for studying Wall Street, but he's turned his attention to
- He wants to predict which drugs will fail
clinical trialsso money and patients' time can be saved.
- But experts say his tech needs more work and that getting it wrong may cause harm.
See the 14-slide presentation a members-only concierge emergency-care startup used to raise $30 million in Series A funding
Healthis a membership-based concierge emergency-care startup in New York.
- It announced its Series A round led by Torch Capital and Denali Growth Partners on Tuesday.
- It wants to add more clinics in existing cities and open new offices in San Francisco next year.
As the pandemic raged, at least 75 lawmakers bought and sold stock in companies that make COVID-19 vaccines, treatments, and tests
- At least 75 federal lawmakers held shares of Moderna, Johnson & Johnson, or Pfizer in 2020.
- Lawmakers' holding stock in these companies has prompted ethical concerns.
- Several other lawmakers traded shares of companies with a direct stake in the pandemic.
More stories we're reading:
- Omicron could make you infectious more quickly than Delta — take a rapid test no earlier than a few hours before heading to a party, experts say (Insider)
- Orthopedic surgery as a specialty continues to have a diversity problem (STAT)
- The famed startup accelerator Y Combinator is wading into the $100 billion psychedelics industry. Here's how 3 psychedelics firms got into the program. (Insider)
- Vaccinators in Peru struggle to get access to remote communities with physical and cultural barriers (NPR)
Popular on BI
- COP28 set to kick off from Nov 30 — UAE hopeful for deal on renewable energy tripling, doubling energy efficiency
- Family Man Manoj Bajpayee bats for movie heroes who like ‘the common man’
- Gandhar Oil IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- White collar roles more at threat from AI
- Market cap of BSE-listed firms hits record high of Rs 331 lakh crore; just shy of entering $4-trillion club