More than 30 transgender people have been killed in 2020, making this already the deadliest year since records began
- As of October 6, there have been 31 recorded killings of
transgenderand gender non-conforming people in the US in 2020, according to The Human Rights Campaign.
- 26 of those killed this year were Black or Latinx.
- 2020 marks the deadliest year for transgender people on record, surpassing the 27 people killed in all of 2019.
- Experts say the devastating statistic is part of an ongoing epidemic of violence against transgender women of color.
Felycya Harris, a 33-year-old transgender interior designer and entrepreneur, was shot to death in Augusta, Georgia on October 3.
Her death is the 31st recorded killing of a transgender or gender non-conforming person in the US this year, according to the Human Rights Campaign, which suspects this figure is an underestimate.A majority of those killed were Black and Latinx transgender women and femmes.
"This epidemic of violence, which is particularly impacting transgender women of color, must and can be stopped," Alphonso David, Human Rights Campaign President, said in a statement."We must work to address the factors that underpin this
During the ongoing protests in support of Black lives in June, the murders of Dominique Fells and Riah Milton within 24 hours sparked a national conversation on the ongoing killings of Black trans women. Over 15,000 gathered in New York City to march in support of Black trans lives on June 14, 2020.
"Not one of the 31 lives we have lost this year, or the 196 we have lost since 2013, deserved to have their lives or their futures taken from them," David said.Read More:
- OYO’s ‘Hockey’ print campaign is winning the internet; there’s a lot more in store, says its head of global brand Mayur Hola
- 77 cases of Indian COVID-19 variant found in the UK
- Karnataka CM Yediyurappa and MP from Punjab Harshmit Kaur Badal test COVID-19 positive
- Pakistan temporarily shuts down social media amid anti-France protests
- Four charts show how COVID-19 vaccines are being distributed in India