What do implantation cramps feel like? How to tell the difference between implantation and menstrual cramping
- Implantation cramps feel like achy, mild menstrual cramps or a tingling sensation.
- Implantation cramps occur 5 to 6 days after conception and can last one to three days.
- To tell if it's implantation cramps versus menstrual cramps, wait to see if you start menstruating.
Menstrual cramps during your period are common, but sometimes you may feel cramps at different times during your cycle. There are a few different reasons why you may experience cramps outside of your period, including implantation.
Implantation occurs during
Here is what you need to know about implantation cramps, how they differ from other kinds of cramps, and how long they might last.
What do implantation cramps feel like?
Implantation cramps vary from person to person, but are often described as achy, mild menstrual cramps, or a tingling sensation, Gaither says. While implantation cramps are common, not everyone will experience them.Related Article Module: Pain during ovulation is common - here's why it happens
Because implantation occurs in the uterus, you're most likely to feel implantation cramps in the middle of your pelvis or lower abdomen and not on one side, says Judith Sánchez, MD, an OB-GYN with the Santa Clara Valley Medical Center. If you are experiencing cramping on one side, this could be a sign of ovulation not implantation.
Timing can also help you determine if it's ovulation or implantation cramping: ovulation tends to occur 14 days after your period begins whereas implantation typically occurs about eight to ten days after ovulation or day 22 to 24 of your cycle.
Note: Implantation cramps occur about five to six days after the sperm meets the egg. They can last about one to three days, though this varies by individual, Gaither says
In addition to cramping, other symptoms of implantation include:
The difference between implantation and menstrual cramps
Not only can implantation cramps feel similar to ovulation cramps, but they're also similar to menstrual cramps, which occur around the same time in your cycle. This can make it difficult to determine which is which.
The best way to tell the difference between the two is to wait it out, Gaither says. Implantation cramps are likely to occur a few days before your period is scheduled to start, but you won't get your period. If you have experienced some mild cramping and your period doesn't show up on time, take a pregnancy test.
Another sign your cramps could be implantation is light bleeding. Implantation bleeding is much lighter and shorter than your period, Sánchez says. Up to 25 percent of women experience light bleeding or spotting in the first trimester of pregnancy, and implantation is one of the causes.
Important: Cramping and bleeding in early pregnancy can also be a sign of miscarriage, Sánchez, so if you are experiencing both, check in with your doctor.
Some people experience mild cramps or spotting during implantation, which is when a fertilized egg attaches itself to the uterine wall. This is likely to occur about eight to 10 days after ovulation and a few days before your period would start. If you notice mild cramping and your period does not show up on time, you should take a pregnancy test.
Implantation cramping, if you experience it, is usually mild. If you are experiencing severe pain, especially if it is concentrated on one side and accompanied by nausea or vomiting, seek emergency medical attention.Pain during ovulation is common - here's why it happens 10 signs your period is coming - plus, tips on how to ease PMS How men and women can increase fertility to get pregnant 9 reasons why you may be spotting, from stress to PCOS
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- Elon Musk told his 76-year-old dad Errol to 'keep quiet' in a text message after he said he wasn't proud of his son, report says
- JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon told wealthy clients there's a chance the US is heading into 'something worse' than a recession, report says
- Nepotism and termite-like corruption dented India : Modi
- Modi lists five pledges to turn India into a developed country in 25 years
- There will be a major shift in the way Indians shop and consume brands
- Modi remembers Nehru and Sarvarkar in his speech today
- Made-in-India gun used for 1st time for ceremonial salute at Red Fort on Independence Day