How to prepare for a coronavirus pandemic
- US citizens have been told to prepare for a coronavirus outbreak.
- The virus, which originated in China, has started to spread rapidly throughout South Korea, Italy, Japan, and Iran.
- The World Health Organization has so far hesitated to call the outbreak a pandemic, but some health experts say that it is.
- People who want to prepare in advance should keep a two-week supply of food and water and a 30-day supply of prescription medication.
- Other measures, like wearing a face mask, are too extreme unless recommended by a health authority.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
View all Offers
- 14% OFF
HP Pavilion 14, Intel 11th Gen Core i5 16GB RAM/512GB SSD 14-inch Laptop, FHD Micro-Edge Anti-Glare Display/Iris X Graphics/ Alexa/Backlit KB/B&O Audio/FPR /Win 11 Ready/1.41kg, 14-dv1002TU₹ 68990₹ 68990Buy On
- 31% OFF
Acer Nitro 5 AN515-57 Gaming Laptop | Intel Core i5-11400H |NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop Graphics |15.6" FHD 144Hz IPS Display |8GB DDR4 | 256GB SSD+1TB HDD | Killer Wi-Fi 6 | RGB Backlit Keyboard₹ 69490₹ 69490Buy On
- 12% OFF
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite 26.31 cm (10.4 inch), S-Pen in Box, Slim and Light, Dolby Atmos Sound, 4 GB RAM, 64 GB ROM, Wi-Fi+LTE, Angora Blue₹ 28999₹ 28999Buy On
NZXT H510 - Compact ATX Mid-Tower PC Gaming Case with NZXT C650 PSU 80 Plus Gold 650 Watt Modular Gaming PSU₹ 667907₹ 667907Buy On
- 19% OFF
Dell Vostro 3400 14 inches FHD Anti Glare Display Laptop (11th Gen Intel i5-1135G7 / 8GB / 1TB / Integrated Graphics / Windows 10 + MS Office / Black/ 1.58Kg) D552154WIN9BE₹ 46490₹ 46490Buy On
Americans got a dire warning from health officials on Tuesday: Prepare for a coronavirus outbreak.
"It's not so much of a question of if this will happen anymore, but rather more of a question of exactly when this will happen," Nancy Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said on Tuesday. "We are asking the American public to prepare for the expectation that this might be bad."
Since then, the Centers for Disease Control have reported several US cases in which patients got the virus unknown sources - they did not travel to China or knowingly interact with anyone who was infected. These instances of community spread suggest the virus is now spreading in the US. The first coronavirus death on US soil was reported on Saturday in Washington state.
Other nations are already facing more severe outbreaks. The virus has infected more than 3,000 people in South Korea and hundreds in Italy, Japan, and Iran.
More than 78,000 people have been infected and nearly 2,800 people have died in mainland China.
At least 50 million people have been quarantined in China for more than a month, and other nations are initiating lockdowns as the outbreak grows.
The World Health Organization has thus far hesitated to call the virus a pandemic, but some health experts have said it has already reached that status. Either way, Bruce Aylward, a public-health expert with the WHO, said the world is "simply not ready" to contain the outbreak.
Here's what you can do to prepare.
Keep a two-week supply of food and water.
Stock up on over-the-counter medication, toilet paper, laundry detergent, and pet food.
Order medications ahead of time. You'll want a month's supply.
Have copies of your medical records handy.
Wash your hands frequently with soap and water, making sure to scrub for at least 20 seconds.
Avoid traveling to the following coronavirus hotspots: China, South Korea, Italy, and Iran.
Continue healthy habits like exercising, drinking lots of water, and getting plenty of sleep.
Get the flu shot if you haven't already. It won't protect you from the coronavirus, but it will reduce the chances that you require medical treatment in hospitals that are treating coronavirus patients.
Stay at least 6 feet away from people who display symptoms such as a dry cough or sneezing.
Don't wear a face mask unless instructed to by a health authority.
- Amazon Great Republic Day Sale 2022 – best deals on smartwatches and fitness bands
- After Maruti, now Tata Motors raises car prices marginally
- AAP names Bhagwant Mann as Punjab CM candidate
- Realme 9i vs Redmi Note 10S — Price, specs, features compared
- ICICI Bank best performer in banking with 42% returns in FY22