'Natural buzz' for Goldman Sachs, Job hunting at McKinsey and Netflix, and investigating a tech CEO's unexplained death
Reuters / Shannon Stapleton
Hello!Healthcare editor Zach Tracer here, filling in for Matt Turner while he's out on parental leave. We have lots of fascinating stories for you this week, as we approach the end of the decade.Advertisement
But first, a plug: If you want more healthcare news from Business Insider in your inbox, you can subscribe to our weekly newsletter here.
Melia Russell has a story this week that I haven't been able to stop thinking about. On its face, it's an investigation into the still-unexplained death of Erin Valenti, the 33-year-old founder of a tech startup in Utah. But it's also a story about the pressures and loneliness of leading a business. Chris Valenti, Erin's youngest brother, told Russell that the family doesn't want to speculate on what happened."When you don't know everything you start thinking about everything," he said. Read the full story here.
Turning a page
- Inspired by Mayor Pete? Check out our guide to landing a job at a top consulting firm.
- Cannabis more your speed? Top recruiters gave us their best tips for landing a job in the booming industry.
- Netflix & apply: Company insiders told us how to get a job at the streaming giant.
- Finally, here's a suggestion we hope our resident sneakerhead Matt Turner doesn't take to heart. Turn your passion for kicks into a $7 million business.
Natural 'buzz'Top execs at Goldman Sachs are moving offices: they're ditching their 41st-floor executive suite with "sweeping views" of New York's skyline for open desks on the 12th floor, not far from where Goldman's employees gather for coffee and snacks. Dakin Campbell has the scoop.It's part of CEO David Solomon's plan to get closer to the bank's employees. Solomon, you'll recall, moonlights as a DJ.Advertisement
"There is a natural 'buzz' there, and I want our leadership team to be part of it," Solomon said in a memo announcing the plan.
Finance and InvestingAdvertisement
Julian Emanuel of BTIG said another huge year for stocks could be coming as zero-fee online trading encourages investors to move money into equities.A retiree living at the poverty line explains how he squandered his 401(k) - and shares how today's generation of young professionals can avoid his fateAdvertisement
John Morrow says he lives off of a small pension and Social Security income amounting to about $23,000 before taxes, and he wants his story to serve as a cautionary tale.Advertisement
Tech, Media, TelecomsPalantir grabbed Project Maven defense contract after Google left the program: sourcesAdvertisement
The project will train artificial intelligence to analyze aerial drone footage to identify people and objects.Advertisement
Courage and curiosity - along with a few quirky rules - are the hallmarks of Bezos' leadership style.The tech chief at the best hospital in the US says it chose to work with Google because of its 'superiority of technology'Advertisement
Mayo Clinic Chief Information Officer Cris Ross said the health system decided to work with Google because of the "superiority of technology" the tech giant has.
Healthcare, Retail, TransportationAdvertisement
Taco Bell's ex-CEO pulled Chipotle out of its massive downwards spiral - and executives say it's just the beginning of the chain's comebackAdvertisement
Chipotle has rolled out delivery, a loyalty program, and drive-thru "Chipotlanes," and it's even testing a new queso.Advertisement
The cancer center is an early sign of the specialty healthcare work that UnitedHealth's Optum business plans to grow into. More centers are in the works, focused on specialties like orthopedics, lung function, and allergies.
Featured Digital Health Articles:
- Telehealth Industry: Benefits, Services & Examples
- Value-Based Care Model: Pay-for-Performance Healthcare
- Senior Care & Assisted Living Market Trends
- Smart Medical Devices: Wearable Tech in Healthcare
- AI in Healthcare
- Remote Patient Monitoring Industry: Devices & Market Trends
- India at forefront of vaccine development: Modi
- How music has become the real social connector, and technology has helped democratize music in today’s digitally connected world
- EXCLUSIVE: Trump versus Biden — Here’s what the result of the US election could mean for India
- EXCLUSIVE: Why Tata Motors CEO is not worried about Musk's Tesla coming to India
- Chinese soldier strays across the border — detained by India , to be released soon