An asteroid that whizzed past Earth last week had its own Moon
- An asteroid called 2020 BX12 was closer than the Moon is to Earth as it flew past the blue planet last week.
- Images recorded by the
Arecibo Observatoryshow that the asteroid was not alone.
- According to the observatory, 2020 BX12’s companion was the asteroid’s own Moon.
At a distance of 302,000 kilometres from Earth,
The Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico recorded the asteroid as it made its close-approach speeding at over 90,000 kilometres per hour - to make sure that there weren’t any unexpected changes in its trajectory. That’s when they detected the asteroid wasn’t alone.
An asteroid with its own Moon
The primary asteroid was around 165 meters in diameter. However, its partner was less than half its size — around 70 meters in diameter, according to estimates. The distance between the two space rocks was less than 360 meters, as per data collected on February 5.
"The movement of the satellite between the two observations, which were made approximately 23 hours apart, suggests a mutual orbital period of 45-50 hours and would be consistent with a tidally locked satellite," said Arecibo’s report.
Asteroids can have more than one Moon
Currently, 2020 BX12 doesn’t pose a danger to Earth and flying further away from the planet as it continues on its orbit. And, it’s not the first asteroid to be reported with a Moon in its orbit.
Many space rocks in the main asteroid belt that lies between Mars and Jupiter have a Moon. Some even have more than one Moon. Out of the 16,4000 known near-earth objects, at least 60 asteroids have Moons.
2020 BX12 is scheduled to fly past Earth in 2022 and 2024. However, it will be nowhere as close to the planet as it was whooshing past the planet between February 4 and 5.
The 10 biggest asteroids that pose a threat to Earth in 2020
A 'city-killer' asteroid got scarily close to Earth yesterday, and astronomers didn't know about it until it was just days away
Astronomers discover an asteroid that's closer to the Sun than any other
Popular on BI
- A millennial who became a millionaire after the 2008 crash says building wealth is about more than opportunistic investing. You also have to make lifestyle changes and load up on side hustles.
- OnePlus Nord CE 3 leaks ahead of launch – specs, expected launch date and more
- A 53-year-old longevity researcher says his 'biological age' is a decade younger thanks to 4 daily habits — but the science behind them is mixed
- Learning AI can be lucrative: Freshers’ annual pay is ₹10-14 lakh in India, says TeamLease Digital report
- CoCo bonds fall sharply over Credit Suisse deal
- Date night conversations to diet charts – 10 things ChatGPT can help you with
- Gold is bankable, shines more than some western banks say experts
- Fear of financial crisis is keeping investors away from stock markets say experts