Sensex rallies past 40,000 points for first time ever as BJP leads convincingly in vote counting
AdvertisementIndia's stock markets rallied as vote counting got underway this morning. The
However, by the end of the day it had fallen 300 points - a likely result of investors rushing to book profits.
The Nify, meanwhile surged past the 12,000 mark for the first time ever, before closing 80 points lower for the aforementioned reason.
As things currently stand, the BJP is set to win 299 out of 542 constituencies, while its main rival, the
Earlier this week, the Sensex clocked its highest one-day gain in 10 years as Indian markets celebrated the results of
All exit polls pointed to a return of the BJP-led National Democractic Alliance (NDA) administration. The overall tally for the NDA is pegged at between 287 and 365 seats in the 543-member
Some of the polls also suggested that the BJP’s main national rival, the Congress, would fail to breach the 100-seat mark owing to losses in the Hindi heartland.
Sensex clocks highest one-day gain in 10 years as Indian markets celebrate results of exit polls
The story of Sensex since its inception in 1986 is the story of India’s economy
Popular on BI
- Best face wash for men in India
- Bajaj in top gear, Hero flat while Maruti declines – here’s how Indian auto cos performed in June 2022
- Revenge shopping and revenge travelling trends are simmering down in India
- Bengaluru, Delhi, Hyderabad, and Mumbai among top-20 cities in Asia-Pacific for sustainable commercial real estate
- Sensex gains 327 points on firm global markets and buying in index majors