Spike Lee is teaming up with 'Black Panther' star Chadwick Boseman for a Netflix movie
Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images
- Netflix is in talks to distribute Spike Lee's "Da 5 Bloods," starring Chadwick Boseman.
- Lee will join other high-profile filmmakers with movies at Netflix, including Alfonso Cuarón, Steven Soderbergh, and Martin Scorsese.
Netflix is making a big push into original movies in 2019, and "BlackKklansman" director Spike Lee is the latest high-profile filmmaker to be courted by the streaming giant for a new movie.Netflix is in talks to release "Da 5 Bloods," about a group of Vietnam veterans who return to "find their lost innocence," according to Variety. Lee will write, direct, and produce the movie, and "Black Panther" actor Chadwick Boseman is expected to star.
Lee has worked with Netflix before as an executive producer, writer, and director on the TV series "She's Gotta Have It," which is based on his 1986 movie of the same name."BlackKklansman" is up for six Oscars on February 24, including best picture and best director for Lee, which is his first nomination in the category. He's also nominated for best adapted screenplay.
Netflix also has a huge presence at this year's Oscars with 15 nominations, including its first for best picture for Alfonso Cuarón's "Roma," which is up for 10 nominations itself.As Netflix has fought for a place in awards season, it has butted heads with traditionalists in Hollywood. But it has still managed to snag Oscar-winning filmmakers. If "Roma" wins big on Oscar night, it will surely attract more.Joel and Ethan Coen directed the Western anthology film "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs," which is nominated for three Oscars. Steven Soderbergh's basketball drama, "High Flying Bird," was released on Friday to rave reviews.
Martin Scorsese is directing "The Irishman," which Netflix is expected to drop this year. "La La Land" director Damien Chazelle will executive produce and direct a Netflix musical drama series called "The Eddy." And "The Shape of Water" director Guillermo del Toro is set to make a "Pinocchio" movie for Netflix.
- Debris of China's disintegrating rocket falls into Indian Ocean
- India crosses 4,000 mark of COVID deaths in a single day, total 2,42,362 fatalities reported so far
- Debris from China's disintegrating rocket enters Earth's atmosphere
- UP's Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath announces free funerals for deceased Covid patients
- You no longer need a Covid+ve report to get admitted to a hospital: Union Health Ministry