Ryan Newman, who was seriously injured in a Daytona 500 crash, earned the nickname 'Rocket Man' when he was just 22
- NASCAR driver Ryan Newman was seriously injured in a crash at the Daytona 500 on Monday night.
- He was leading in the race's last lap when his car spun out and flew into the air before landing on its roof.
- Newman, 42, was taken to the hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries, NASCAR officials said in a statement. He is still in a Dayton hospital recovering.
- Newman, who earned the nickname "Rocket Man" in his rookie season, has been involved in NASCAR for nearly 20 years.
- Outside the sport, Newman is a father to two young girls and runs a nonprofit focused on helping rescue animals.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Driver Ryan Newman, who was left seriously injured after a crash at the Daytona 500 on Monday night, has had a nearly 20-year career in NASCAR. But outside the sport, Newman is a father-of-two who launched an animal rescue nonprofit with his wife.Newman was leading the race on Monday when his car was part of a crash in the last lap of the Daytona 500.Advertisement
The 42-year-old, whose car landed on its roof and burst into flames after the crash, was taken to a nearby hospital in Daytona, Florida, in "serious condition."
The NASCAR world has rallied around Newman since the crash, and some of his fans are even donating to his nonprofit, Rescue Ranch, to show their support for his family.Newman ascended the NASCAR ranks early on; in his first season with the sport, he earned the nickname "Rocket Man" for his high-voltage driving.
Here's everything you need to know about Newman.
Newman was a star racer as a teenager and went on to receive an engineering degree from Purdue University.
Following his graduation from Purdue, Newman burst onto the NASCAR scene when he was 22, where he earned the nickname 'Rocket Man' and set a rookie record.Advertisement
Newman, now 42, is in his 19th full season with NASCAR.
Newman is the father of two young girls.Advertisement
Newman and his wife, Krissie, are founders of an animal rescue nonprofit.
Newman and his wife announced they were separating just days before the Daytona 500 crash.Advertisement
Newman has 18 career cup series wins, and once finished 2nd in a Cup Championship.
Newman is recovering from Monday's crash in a Daytona hospital.Advertisement
- Airtel launches new cybersecurity product with CISCO, Radware, VMware, and Forcepoint for enterprises — it took ₹100 crore and over a year to set up
- Chinese smartphone maker Realme sells over 2.31 lakh units of Narzo 20 series in India
- Microsoft Translator adds Assamese to its list of real-time translation for Indian languages
- Delhi government extends water bill waiver scheme till December-end
- How design is intricate to a brand's success in today's world and why getting it right from the start is the way to go