Shaquille O'Neal paid for a stranger's engagement ring after he saw him shopping: 'I'm just trying to make people smile'
- Shaquille O'Neal recently paid for the engagement ring that he saw a stranger buying.
- After video of the encounter emerged, O'Neal said he didn't mean for the footage to get out.
- "I'm just trying to make people smile," he said.
NBA legend Shaquille O'Neal took part in a random - and expensive - act of kindness on Monday, when he decided to pay for the engagement ring he happened to see a stranger buying.
After video of O'Neal buying the ring was shared on social media, he addressed the incident during TNT's NBA post-game show on Tuesday night."I saw the guy come in, he was just so shy," O'Neal said. "He was saying, 'Hey, how much do I owe to pay off the ring.'"
"I was like, 'You know what, tell your girlfriend I got it. Take care of her.'" Shaq said.
-ESPN (@espn) April 7, 2021"At first he didn't want to take it," Shaq continued. "He was like, 'Man I can't do that.' But I told him, 'Don't worry about it, I do it all the time.'"
O'Neal said that although he didn't mean for the moment to become public, helping strangers is something he tries to do regularly."I'm into making people happy," Shaq said. "Whenever I leave the house, I just try to do a good deed. I didn't mean for that to get out, because I don't do it for that, but the guy just came in. He was a hard-working guy.""I'm just trying to make people smile," O'Neal added.
- Revolut starts India operations, appoints former Lendingkart, Flipkart executive Paroma Chatterjee as CEO
- Top 10 longest sixes in IPL matches from 2008 to till date
- OPINION: Regulation of games of skill under a central legislative regime is the need of the hour
- OPINION: Why weekend lockdowns and night curfews aren't the only solution to India's surging cases of COVID-19
- Haryana government declares summer vacation in schools due to spike in COVID-19 cases