The average American's annual food waste, water use, energy consumption, garbage, and carbon emissions in 1 simple chart
- The United States comprises about 5% of the world's population.
- However, Americans consume an far more than that share of the world's food, water, and energy. They also generate a lot of emissions and garbage in the process.
- In honor of Earth Day, a revealing chart shows how many resources the average American uses per year.
America's thirst for resources seems unquenchable, and its ability to generate waste can be shocking.In 2015, for example, 5% of the world's population lived in the United States, but the country consumed about 18% of the planet's energy, according to EIA data.
In honor of Earth Day on Sunday, April 22, Business Insider crunched these and other numbers to create a full picture of what the average American uses, wastes, and emits each year. Take a look:
Shayanne Gal/Business Insider
- Sonu Sood to launch blood bank app to connect donors with those in urgent need of blood
- India has the third highest number of women in senior management positions globally, according to Grant Thornton
- RIL, banks lift Sensex 1100 points higher, Nifty tops 15,200 mark
- Gujarat's annual budget for the next financial year has a surplus of ₹588 crore
- COVID-19 vaccine doses will available around the clock in India