The best indoor bike trainers you can buy
- A high-quality indoor bike trainer can help you replicate the outdoor riding experience, isn't too loud, and is made of durable materials.
- Our guide features trainers that are easy to use, work with a variety of bike types, and have a track record of performance.
- The Elite Direto 2 Interactive Smart Trainer is our top pick because it's easy to set up, compatible with the most popular training apps, and lightweight and affordable compared to other direct drive trainers.
With an indoor bike trainer, I can simulate the outdoor riding experience when the weather turns nasty without risking life and limb.
Bike trainers have been around for more than a century. The first trainers were bike rollers, which consisted of three rolling cylinders - two in the back and one in the front - on which the bike rests as you pedal away. You can still find bike rollers, and they are excellent for fine-tuning your balance. However, they are no longer as popular as they once were.Most of today's trainers hold the bike in place. Here are the types of trainers you will come across:Advertisement
- Friction Trainers: Until recently, friction trainers were all the rage. They supply fluid or magnetic resistant to the rear wheel via a small roller.
- Direct Drive Trainers: These trainers recently took the industry by storm. With these, you remove your back wheel and attach the rear dropout to the trainer. They require a cassette compatible with your bike. Direct-drive trainers offer the highest level of resistance and are the most accurate. Yet, they also cost the most. Direct-drive trainers are "smart," which means you can connect to your mobile device and experience the wonder of the many virtual riding apps. You can control the resistance yourself or have it adjust automatically based on the workout.
- Fluid Trainers: Direct-drive trainers are not the only smart trainers. There are also several fluid trainers with Bluetooth or ANT+ connectivity. And even if you choose a "dumb" trainer, you can purchase accessories to make it smart. For instance, the Garmin Bike Speed Sensor 2 and Cadence Sensor 2 bundle should get the job done and can provide you with valuable data when you're riding outdoors as well.
Here are the best indoor bike trainers you can buy:
- Best indoor bike trainer overall: Elite Direto 2 Interactive Smart Trainer
- Best high-end indoor bike trainer: Tacx NEO 2 Smart Indoor Trainer
- Best smart indoor bike trainer on a budget: Kinetic Road Machine Smart 2 Trainer
- Best indoor bike trainer for power accuracy: Wahoo Fitness Kickr Smart Bike Trainer
- Best "dumb" indoor bike trainer: CycleOps Fluid2 Indoor Trainer
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.
The best indoor bike trainer overall
The best high-end indoor bike trainerAdvertisement
The best smart indoor bike trainer on a budget
The best accurate indoor bike trainerAdvertisement
The best 'dumb' indoor bike trainer
What else we consideredAdvertisement
- Rupee surges 14 paise to 75.28 against US dollar in early trade
- Fire at commercial building in Mumbai, no casualty
- Results show Moderna COVID-19 vaccine safe
- World Youth Skills day – From Amazon to Coursera, how companies are helping India’s young population reskill themselves
- Moderna's COVID-19 vaccine will be in final stages of human trial starting July 27