The best natural toothpaste you can buy
Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- Natural toothpaste formulas don't have to be lacking in powerful ingredients or great flavor.
- Take our top pick, Desert Essence Natural Tea Tree Oil and Neem Toothpaste, for example. It cleans teeth and keeps breath fresh, thanks to naturally occurring tea tree oil, neem, baking soda, and sea salt.
Brushing your teeth is an intimate thing. And yet, we don't tend to give our toothpaste selection careful thought. Most of us just go to the drugstore, pick up whatever is on sale, and go on our merry way. Can you even tell me what brand is in your medicine cabinet right now?Now more than ever, buyers interested are interested in ingredients. They want to know what's in their products, and why. Although there is a significant amount of debate about what really counts as "natural" and whether "natural" is automatically preferable to synthetic formulations, more and more people are making the switch to products that use all or mostly natural ingredients.
Maybe you're here because you've already overhauled your skin care, cosmetics, cleaning supplies, and deodorant to include only natural products, and toothpaste is just the next item on your list. Or perhaps you simply want to learn about the alternatives to whatever is currently sitting on the shelf in your bathroom.
But first, a note about fluoride: Though some people prefer to avoid it, there are several options in our guide that do include the ingredient. As Allure points out, "contrary to what many believe, fluoride is natural." It's "found throughout the earth's crust, in rainwater, in plants, and it's the only ingredient that is proven to reduce cavities," as dentist Caroline Barsoum told the publication.
Still, some people don't want fluoride in their toothpaste, so if you prefer to do without fluoride, there are some options for you in our guide, too.
Here are our top picks for the best natural toothpaste:
- Best overall: Desert Essence Natural Tea Tree Oil and Neem Toothpaste
- Best with activated charcoal: Schmidt's Activated Charcoal Tooth and Mouth Paste
- Best for sensitive teeth: Hello Sensitivity Relief Fluoride Toothpaste
- Best fluoride-free: Tom's Antiplaque Whitening Fluoride-Free Toothpaste
- Best for kids: Hello Kids Fluoride-Free Natural Watermelon Toothpaste
Updated on 6/5/2019 by Les Shu: Updated prices, links, and formatting.
Keep scrolling to read more about our top picks.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.