The Scottish people are on the brink of backing independence from the UK
- Support for Scottish independence appears to have reached a tipping point due to Brexit.
- Analysis of six recent opinion polls puts average support for independence in Scotland at 49% - once undecided voters are excluded.
- One recent poll found a majority of 52% of decided voters now back leaving the UK.
- The shift towards independence has been entirely driven by voters opposed to Brexit, according to new analysis by the UK's leading pollster.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The Scottish public is now on the brink of backing independence from the United Kingdom due to Brexit.That's the unavoidable conclusion to be drawn from the most recent opinion polls.
What Scotland Thinks
According to a survey by the pollster Lord Ashcroft back in August, support for independence was at 52% after undecided voters were excluded.The claim that Scottish voters do not want another vote is also hard to sustain from this data, with Curtice's analysis showing a clear shift among both pro and anti-independence voters, towards wanting another referendum.
Brexit is driving the UK apart
The shift towards independence among Scots - an average increase in four points from the start of the year - has been driven entirely by voters who are unhappy about the prospect of Brexit.
"All of this increase in support for Yes registered by the polls has occurred among those who voted Remain," Curtice writes."The claim that Brexit does not pose any risk to Scotland's future membership of the Union now looks significantly more difficult to sustain."
Indeed, with one recent poll also finding a majority for independence in Northern Ireland, it appears that the warnings that Brexit risked tearing the United Kingdom apart are starting to be realised.
Our Brexit Insider Facebook group is the best place for up-to-date news and analysis about Britain's departure from the EU, direct from Business Insider's political reporters. Join here.
- Initial assessment of adverse events didn't necessitate stoppage of vaccine trials: ICMR
- Phase 2 and 3 clinical trials for Sputnik vaccine commence
- 'Delhi chalo': After Singhu and Tikri, Delhi Police closes Chilla border due to farmers' protest
- Manforce Condoms promotes its competitors in its latest ad for World AIDS Day
- Sensex, Nifty close at record high on recovery hopes, vaccine boost