The Scottish people are on the brink of backing independence from the UK
- Support for Scottish independence appears to have reached a tipping point due to Brexit.
- Analysis of six recent opinion polls puts average support for independence in Scotland at 49% - once undecided voters are excluded.
- One recent poll found a majority of 52% of decided voters now back leaving the UK.
- The shift towards independence has been entirely driven by voters opposed to Brexit, according to new analysis by the UK's leading pollster.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The Scottish public is now on the brink of backing independence from the United Kingdom due to Brexit.That's the unavoidable conclusion to be drawn from the most recent opinion polls.Advertisement
Analysis this week of six recent surveys by the UK's leading pollster John Curtice found that support for independence among decided voters is now at 49% - just shy of a majority.
What Scotland Thinks
According to a survey by the pollster Lord Ashcroft back in August, support for independence was at 52% after undecided voters were excluded.The claim that Scottish voters do not want another vote is also hard to sustain from this data, with Curtice's analysis showing a clear shift among both pro and anti-independence voters, towards wanting another referendum.
Brexit is driving the UK apart
The shift towards independence among Scots - an average increase in four points from the start of the year - has been driven entirely by voters who are unhappy about the prospect of Brexit.
"All of this increase in support for Yes registered by the polls has occurred among those who voted Remain," Curtice writes."The claim that Brexit does not pose any risk to Scotland's future membership of the Union now looks significantly more difficult to sustain."Advertisement
Indeed, with one recent poll also finding a majority for independence in Northern Ireland, it appears that the warnings that Brexit risked tearing the United Kingdom apart are starting to be realised.
Our Brexit Insider Facebook group is the best place for up-to-date news and analysis about Britain's departure from the EU, direct from Business Insider's political reporters. Join here.
- Indian lenders like SBI, Axis Bank and others need $20 billion in capital— most of it will go into filling up NPA holes
- NASA, SpaceX postpone historic astronauts launch (2nd Ld)
- NASA, SpaceX postpone historic astronauts launch
- 5 persons test positive for COVID-19 in Manipur, total rises to 44
- 32 people test positive for COVID-19 in Jharkhand, total now 458