Maha Shivratri 2021 dos and don’ts you must know to celebrate it in the right way
Shivratri, the holy night is dedicated to worshipping Lord Shiva.
- People celebrate
Maha Shivratriby fasting, keeping vigil and doing pujas at homes and temples.
- Here are the dos and don’ts for Shivratri you must know to celebrate it in the right way.
What you must do on Maha Shivratri
- If possible, observe a vigil on Shivratri. Do not sleep throughout the night and spend the night contemplating on spirituality.
- Listen to stories of Lord Shiva, sing songs, chant mantras and meditate.
- Visit Shiva temples. In most Shiva temples, a prayer is performed throughout the night. Participate in the nightly prayers.
- If possible, you can also perform prayers and pujas at home. Start the puja after sunset on Shivratri and continue to do puja till the sunrise.
- Offering Bilva leaves, white colour flowers, water from the Ganges, sacred ash, sandalwood paste, and milk to Shiva. It is considered auspicious.
- At the end of Shivratri puja, donate Prasad, food, clothes and other items to the poor and needy.
- Unlike some other kinds of festivals, Shivratri is not meant for making merry and feasting. Contemplate on the Lord, visit temples, do Shiv puja at home and spend the time in spiritual activities.
- Do not sleep during Shivratri if you are observing a complete fast. Stay vigil throughout the night and sing the divine glories and chant the mantras of the Lord.
- Do not kill the time during Shivratri by watching movies or wasting time on gaming. Abstain from any kind of indulgence. Devote the time only to worship the Lord with full focus and devotion.
- Never resort to falsehood and quarrels. Do not eat non-vegetarian food. Abstain from alcohol and any other kind of addictive stuff.
A Shivratri vrat for those who decide to observe it, involves staying awake the entire night and fasting for 24 hours. This year, the Shivratri Vrat starts on Thursday, March 11, 2021 morning and will close after 6 am on Friday, March 12, 2021. Those observing complete fast should not consume even water during the vrat period. Some take water alone while some others take fruits and milk. At the end of the vrat, Shiva’s Prasad is partaken to conclude the fast. If possible, spend the night by performing puja to Lord Shiva either at home or in a temple.
- By air, rail and road – how oxygen is being transported across India amidst a severe COVID-19 crisis
- Voice search queries in India are growing at 270% per year: MMA and Isobar Report
- Mukesh Ambani's Reliance Industries buys Britain's iconic country club Stoke Park for ₹592 crore
- Instagram is bringing ads to Reels in India; here are a few formats it is planning to add
- Simplified: AIIMS, ICMR new guidelines for treatment of patients with ‘moderate’ case of COVID-19