Tesla will no longer allow drivers to play video games in moving cars as US government probes safety risks
Teslahas informed NHTSA it will block video gameson dashboard screens while cars are moving.
- The NHTSA had started probing why Tesla lets car owners play such games while driving.
Tesla is locking a feature that allows drivers to play video games while the car is in motion.
The move comes after the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) opened an investigation into why Tesla lets owners of its cars play such games while driving earlier this week.
According to The Verge, Tesla Model 3 drivers were able to play Sky Force Reloaded, Solitaire, and The Battle of Polytopia while the car was in motion. The vehicle also offers a drawing pad and a karaoke mode for music.
"Following the opening of a preliminary evaluation of Tesla's 'Passenger Play,' Tesla informed the agency that it is changing the functionality of this feature," an NHTSA spokesperson said in a statement to Insider. "In a new
The change is being rolled out as a part of Tesla's holiday update, according to Electrek, which covers
The New York Times reported earlier this month one Tesla Model 3 owner discovered he was able to play some games using his car's touch-screen while his vehicle was moving, putting a spotlight on distracted driving.
"The Vehicle Safety Act prohibits manufacturers from selling vehicles with defects posing unreasonable risks to safety, including technologies that distract drivers from driving safely," said the NHTSA spokesperson.
According to NHTSA statistics, around 3,100 people die annually in accidents involving distracted drivers.
Tesla did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
- RBI extends deadline to exchange, deposit Rs 2,000 notes till Oct 7
- Explained: TCS on your child's overseas education and mitigating strategies
- From Pixel 8 to Galaxy S23 FE – smartphones launching in October 2023
- World Cup 2023 final squads – Ind, Aus, Eng and all the other teams
- Eating your way to clear vision: 10 foods for healthy eyes