This is how the Dalai Lama wants his followers to celebrate his 85th birthday
- Celebration of the
Dalai Lama’s 85th birthday will be muted this year due to the restrictions of the coronavirus pandemic.
- The Dalai Lama has asked his followers to recite the
Mani mantra1,000 times instead in order to commemorate his birthday.
- He was originally supposed to visit Ladakh for his birthday this year, which is no longer possible due to the coronavirus.
“It’s not possible for large numbers of people to hold a big celebration because of the restriction due to the pandemic. And it’s not necessary either,” he said from his home in Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh.
Ladakh and Dharamshala, two Indian districts known for their celebrations of Tibetan Buddhism, have been forced to keep things low key due to the coronavirus in lieu of which public gatherings are limited and people are encouraged to stay at home as much as possible.
“However, if you want to celebrate my birthday, I’d like to ask you to recite the Mani mantra (Om Mani Padme Hung), at least a thousand times,” he said explaining that this is due to the unique connection he has with Avalokiteshvara — the earthly manifestation of the self-born eternal Buddha Amitabha.
PT Kunzang, President of the Ladakh Buddist Association (LBA) told Outlook that normally, there used to huge celebrations every year on July 6. “But this year due to the Covid-19 guidelines, it will be a small symbolic gathering,” he said highlighting that only religious heads would be gathering to commemorate the Dalai Lama’s 85th birthday.
Tseten Wangchuk, the Chief Representative Officer of Tibetan Settlement in Leh, added that the Buddist leader was scheduled to visit Ladakh this year on his birthday but will no longer be able to do so in view of the coronavirus pandemic.
Ahead of his birthday, the Dalai Lama also released an album of his mantras and teachings called ‘Inner World’. It has reportedly been in development for the past five years and includes 11 tracks, including Compassions based on the Mani mantra.
Coronavirus: Dalai Lama calls for coordinated, global effort
We asked the Dalai Lama how to deal with conflict around the world
Nepal bans Tibetans from celebrating Dalai Lama’s birthday, citing security concerns
Popular on BI
- No crypto ban in India — SEBI will reportedly be pulled in to regulate the sector
- I tried a calendar that's meant to boost productivity by mapping out the number of weeks you have left to live — here's how it went
- I wore the same outfit for a week, as part of a productivity hack promoted by Steve Jobs — but it didn't really work. After speaking to psychologists, I'm not surprised.
- SaaS firm RateGain’s IPO opens tomorrow — should you invest?
- Global digital advertising accounted for 64.4% of all advertising in 2021, up from 60.5% in 2020: GroupM report
- After Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Maruti Suzuki, now Tata Motors increases price of its vehicles from January
- 44 key areas, a national framework, and a multi-institutional approach — Here's what you need to know about India's new National Blockchain Strategy
- India's biggest test wins since 2018 — Virat Kohli was not the captain in two of those 14 matches