Urban Decay makes the only waterproof mascara and eyeliner that actually stay on my face - even in 90-degree heat
- I never wear eye makeup because it always melts off my face, but I recently tried Urban Decay Perversion Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner ($22) and Perversion Waterproof Mascara ($24), and both stayed in place for hours.
- I wore the liner and mascara during 90-degree heat and 80% humidity, and neither one of them budged or smudged.
- I've already recommended the two products to several friends, and have begun thinking about boarding them in case they ever get discontinued.
There's a reason I never wear eyeliner or mascara - both of them melt right off my face like that scene in Mulan. You know the one.
My eye makeup never sticks around longer than an hour no matter how much oil I blot off or primer I use. There's usually already a visible ring of liner or mascara by my first cup of coffee, and by lunch, I look like something out of a horror movie. I've tried a bunch of waterproof mascaras and eyeliners that don't live up to the hype - some barely make it half a day, others are insanely hard to wash off even when I use an oil-based cleansing balm. I'd basically given up on eye makeup.
Read more: The best makeup remover you can buy
But when another editor asked if someone wanted to try out the new waterproof eyeliner and mascara from Urban Decay, I was hesitant but I was in. I had nothing to lose - everyone has already seen me at my horror-movie worst, so what's another one?
I decided to wear the Urban Decay Perversion Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner ($22) and Perversion Waterproof Mascara ($24) during my bachelorette weekend in Savannah, Georgia - home of SCAD, sweet peaches, and an ungodly amount of humidity. Like, there should not be that much moisture - or mosquitoes - in the air.
My hair was the frizziest I'd ever seen and I was sweating out of every pore, but my eye makeup? Did. Not. Move.
Read more: The best waterproof mascara you can buy
Both the liner and mascara had stayed on exactly where I'd applied, lasting through a first dinner, second dinner, bike ride, bar crawl, self-made walking tour, and a 20-minute wait for ice cream all in 90-degree heat and 80% humidity. By the end of the night, I didn't look like one of the ghosts that hangs around Savannah's haunted squares - though I certainly felt like it.
The liner goes on really smooth and dries down to a semi-matte finish, and it's an inky black color that adds depth to my lashline. I use the pointy tip to almost stamp the tail of the cat eye, and then slowly trace along my lash line - I find it a lot easier to create my look this way.
As for the mascara, I'll use two or three coats after curling with my Preo / Prima curler. It gives me volume without being too dramatic, and the waterproof formula actually holds the curl - which is impressive in its own right.
I wore it again a few weeks later during my bridal shower at a restaurant that had a dreamy indoor garden and giant windows on the ceiling that I just happened to sit right under. It felt like there was a spotlight on me and that I was the star - which I was, I guess - but it also felt like 100+ degrees and that I should've worn more sunscreen.
As soon as we left the restaurant, I checked myself out in the mirror and was surprised to see that there was minimal smudging and melting under my lower lashline. It wasn't as clean as the first time I'd road-tested the products out in Savannah, but it was definitely way better than everything else I'd tried.
The fact that no one at my shower mentioned the smudging also probably means that it didn't register for anyone who wasn't studying my face.
I recommended both products to my friends while we were in Savannah - that's how impressed I was - but after having used them during two big life events, and the mascara every day for the past two weeks, I've already started to think about hoarding them in case they ever get discontinued.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.
- Sansera Engineering IPO — How to check allotment status, listing date and more
- The collapse of Evergrande, one of China’s largest home developers, is “not a Lehman moment” but the fear may haunt steel and metal stocks in India
- Amazon is investigating its lawyers for allegedly bribing Indian government officials
- Noise ropes in Taapsee Pannu as its brand ambassador for smart wearables
- Online fantasy gaming startup earns almost five times Dhoni's Chennai Super Kings
- Samsung's first F-series phone with 5G support, Galaxy F42, to launch soon
- 2021 Yamaha R15 V4.0, R15M, Aerox 155 launched in India — all you need to know
- Tara Sutaria to be the face of Olay India's premium skincare range