Uber is about to lose its VP of mapping as well as its president
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
Uber has been making headlines for all the wrong reasons since the start of 2017. More than 200,000 Uber customers deleted Uber's app during a weekend in January as part of the #DeleteUber movement. Since then, the company has launched an internal investigation into its workplace culture after a former engineer, Susan Fowler, wrote a blog post describing experiences of gender bias and sexual harassment at Uber.
In the past two weeks, Uber has also been sued by Google, one of its investors, which is accusing it of using stolen technology and had details of a scheme conceived to fool government authorities published.
Executives to have left the company in the past few weeks include:
- Jeff Jones, Uber's president
- Brian McClendon, Uber's VP of maps and business platform
- Gary Marcus, head of Uber AI Labs
- Raffi Krikorian, senior director of engineering at Uber's Advanced Technologies Centre
- Charlie Miller, a key member of Uber's self-driving-car team
- Amit Singhal, SVP of engineering
- Ed Baker, Uber's VP of product and growth
McClendon reportedly said in a statement that he would be leaving Uber on March 28 on amicable terms and that he would stay on as an adviser to the company. He plans to return to his hometown of Lawrence, Kansas, and explore politics, according to The New York Times.
"This fall's election and the current fiscal crisis in Kansas is driving me to more fully participate in our democracy - and I want to do that in the place I call home," he reportedly said. "I believe in Uber's mission and the many talented people working there to make it a reality and that's why I have agreed to stay on as an adviser."
Uber did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment.
More from this author
- Shree Sai Spaces Creations and Wasankar Wealth man...
- Finding solutions to India's transportation challe...
- 5 ways transportation will radically change by 2026
- This is the tangled future of tech and transportat...
- For Detroit, Silicon Valley transportation startup...
- Hyperloop One revealed the future of transportatio...
- Elon Musk's Wild Plan To Revolutionize Transportat...