16 quotes from Anthony Bourdain on love, travel, and omelets that show why he's so missed
- It's been one year since the tragic death of celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain.
- As the host of CNN's "Parts Unknown" and Travel Channel's "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations," Bourdain was known for his dark humor, memorable one-liners, and his lust for all things culinary.
- Here are some of his most thought-provoking quotes on travel, vegetarians, life, eggs, and "meat in tube form."
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
It's been a year since Anthony Bourdain, beloved TV host, chef, and writer, took his own life at the age of 61.He was known for hosting the hit food travel show "No Reservations" on the Travel Channel, before moving on to "The Layover," then "Parts Unknown" on CNN. He wrote more than a dozen books on travel and food, such as "Kitchen Confidential" and "Medium Raw." His impressive résumé
Here are Bourdain's most thought-provoking quotes, in no particular order.
"All my happiest moments seem to revolve around meat in tube form."
"People who order their meat well-done perform a valuable service for those of us in the business who are cost-conscious: they pay for the privilege of eating our garbage."
"You can dress brunch up with all the focaccia, smoked salmon, and caviar in the world, but it’s still breakfast."
"Even more despised than the Brunch People are the vegetarians. Serious cooks regard these members of the dining public—and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans—as enemies of everything that’s good and decent in the human spirit. To live life without veal or chicken stock, fish cheeks, sausages, cheese, or organ meats is treasonous."
"It's punishing. The sort of frenzied compression of time needed to take the tour, to see the sights, keeps you in a bubble that prevents you from having magic happen to you. Nothing unexpected or wonderful is likely to happen if you have an itinerary in Paris filled with the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower."
"It’s those little human moments that are the ones that stick with you forever, the random acts of kindness."
"You have to be a romantic to invest yourself, your money, and your time in cheese."
"If I'm an advocate for anything, it's to move. As far as you can, as much as you can. Across the ocean, or simply across the river. Walk in someone else's shoes or at least eat their food. It's a plus for everybody."
"I'm not afraid to look like a big, hairy, smelly, foreign devil in Tokyo, though I do my best not to, I really do."
"Assume the worst. About everybody. But don't let this poisoned outlook affect your job performance. Let it all roll off your back. Ignore it. Be amused by what you see and suspect. Just because someone you work with is a miserable, treacherous, self-serving, capricious, and corrupt asshole shouldn't prevent you from enjoying their company, working with them, or finding them entertaining."
"Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride."
"If you're twenty-two, physically fit, hungry to learn and be better, I urge you to travel — as far and as widely as possible. Sleep on floors if you have to. Find out how other people live and eat and cook. Learn from them — wherever you go."
"The way you make an omelet reveals your character."
"When dealing with complex transportation issues, the best thing to do is pull up with a cold beer and let somebody else figure it out."
"Without experimentation, a willingness to ask questions and try new things, we shall surely become static, repetitive, and moribund."
"It seems that the more places I see and experience, the bigger I realize the world to be. The more I become aware of, the more I realize how relatively little I know of it, how many places I have still to go, how much more there is to learn. Maybe that's enlightenment enough — to know that there is no final resting place of the mind, no moment of smug clarity. Perhaps wisdom, at least for me, means realizing how small I am, and unwise, and how far I have yet to go."
- Airtel's India business is back in the black after a very long time
- Sequoia and PayPal-backed Pine Labs completes a first close of $285 million funding round from new investors
- BJP spent significantly less on advertising during Kerala elections this year, its ad insertions on TV, Radio and Print decreased from 21% in 2016 to 1% in 2021
- Google I/O 2021: Here's what to expect from Google's biggest annual conference
- ISRO announces its decision to share technology to make portable medical oxygen concentrators developed by VSSC