How to know you have Lyme disease
Lyme disease is a bacterial infection that's spread primarily though the bite of an infected black-legged tick. These tiny insects, which can carry the bacteria Borrelia burgdorferi, typically live in wooded and grassy areas.
While lyme disease was once thought of as fairly rare, recent estimates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggest it's actually 10 times more common than we'd assumed, infecting roughly 300,000 Americans each year.
Common symptoms of lyme disease (in blue) include fever, headache, fatigue, and a characteristic bulls-eye skin rash. But if left untreated, the infection can spread to the joints, heart, and nervous system and cause more serious problems. Luckily, most cases can be treated successfully with antibiotics.
Samantha Lee/Business Insider
- Travel Boom: India spends 2X of pre-pandemic level on Airbnb with Goa leading the charge
- Swiggy disburses over Rs 450 cr in loans to 8000 restaurant owners
- Hyundai Motor India says all its vehicles to come with 6 airbags
- Earthquake jolts Delhi and other parts of northern India
- World Bank pegs India's FY24 GDP growth at 6.3% as global headwinds emerge