A Bill to do away with UGC and AICTE will be tabled in the Parliament in October
- The Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) will table the
Higher Education Commission of India(HECI) Bill in the parliament in October.
- It proposes to replace the autonomous bodies — University Grants Commission(UGC) and All Indian Council for Technical Education(AICTE).
- Eyeing global standards, the bill aims to promote quality education and reform the higher education sector.
The Bill proposes to introduce a Higher Education Commission of India as the only regulatory body to monitor higher education in India. This will also loop in technical and higher education under the ministry directly. The draft bill seeks to revoke the UGC Act, 1951 and AICTE Act, 1987.
“The bill has been prepared after elaborate consultation with states. It will be taken to the cabinet in October," a senior HRD Ministry official said.
Eyeing global standards, the bill aims to promote quality education and reform higher education. It will focus on “quality of academic instruction, maintenance of academic standards and encourage autonomy of good performing educational institutions for free pursuit of knowledge, innovation, skills and entrepreneurship,” said
The bill was introduced by the ministry last year and was sent out for public feedback from stakeholders including ministries. Earlier, the bill proposed that the academic matters shall be under the control of the Higher Education Commission of India (HECI) while finances will be handled by the HRD ministry.
At present, the UGC is responsible for university education and entrance examinations while the AICTE manages the technical education in India.
UGC declared 23 Indian institutions as fake universities — and they have been ‘fake’ for over a decade now
Students in India's national capital brace for fee hikes as Delhi University colleges are allowed to seek 'autonomy' online
IIT-Madras, IIT-Kharagpur, DU, Banaras Hindu University, University of Hyderabad gets ‘Institute of Eminence’ tag
- Best budget Smart TV in India
- Best camera tripods for photography enthusiasts and learners
- Jupiter's mushball ammonia rain could explain the mystery behind shallow lightning storms in its atmosphere
- Global changes in land use is increasing the possibility of COVID-19 like outbreak, says a study
- SEBI Chairman Ajay Tyagi's term extended for a second time till February 2020