Around 80% of the online fantasy sports users in India prefer participating in the ‘free-to-play’ format
- 98% of the 20% fantasy sports users, participating who pay-to-play format, have either won or lost less than INR 10,000 net in their lifetime.
- Fantasy Sports has become one of the primary sources of sports entertainment.
- Increased viewership & higher sports fan engagement is positively supporting sporting ecosystem.
The format of fantasy sports ensures that sports enthusiasts follow the game more keenly and this directly results in increased focus and attention towards sports. This contributes to an increased viewership & higher sports fan engagement that naturally contributes to more qualitative investments, up-gradation and packaging of these sports making them more viable and remunerative to the players of that sport.
Fantasy Sports as a sector is represented by Federation of Indian Fantasy Sports (FIFS), a self-regulatory body incepted in 2017. FIFS has a defined Charter which outlines a framework within which the industry must function. Self-regulation has so far proven adequate for the industry and the focus shall be towards ensuring that the effectiveness of self-regulation continues with government recognition, as more players add to the ecosystem.
Key findings of the report:
- 80% of the active users are playing Online Fantasy Sports for free
- 20% engage in a pay-to-play format and the average ticket sizes are as low as INR 35/- which is the typical cost of a snack
- 98% of these 20% users who participated in the pay-to-play format of fantasy sports have either won or lost less than INR 10,000 net in their lifetime (past 3 to 4 years)
- It is explicit that fantasy sports are not like any other form of online gaming. The very fact that it is dependent on actualities, seasonality and availability of real-time sports matches makes it a non-addictive form of play which sets it distinctly apart from other forms of gaming that are perceived to be in the nature of gambling and/or betting
- The most active set of fantasy sports users lie in the age group of 25 to 40 years of age who treat fantasy sports as a means of online entertainment
- OFS is a game of skill where a player needs to constantly learn, practice and refine skills to be able to perform in a contest
- The income tax outlay due to direct employment by Online Fantasy Platforms and operators in FY 2019 amounted to INR 43 cr, which doubled to INR 81 cr by FY 2020
- Fantasy sports as an industry has attracted significant amounts of FDI in India. In 2018 and 2019, the industry attracted FDI of INR 1,500 cr (approx.) and has been growing exponentially