- The South Korean film "Parasite" made history on Sunday as the first non-English-language movie to win the Academy Award for best picture.
- Koreans around the world celebrated the win - South Korean companies included.
- South Korean beer company Cass celebrated on Twitter, and noodle brand Nongshim touted a dish featured in a prominent scene in the movie.
- Korean cosmetics company Laneige aired ads before the win, starring actor Park Myung-hoon using the company's skincare products.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Alongside the creators of the South Korean film "Parasite" and Koreans around the world, South Korean companies are celebrating the film's Oscar for best picture at the Academy Awards on Sunday.The film, a commentary on class warfare in Korea, made history as the first non-English-language movie to win the Oscar for best picture, and the win got recognition from South Korean President Moon Jae-in. South Korean companies were quick to join in the celebrations.
Nongshim, the maker of instant noodles like the popular Shin Ramyun brand, took advantage of a scene in the movie that features jjapaguri (sometimes spelled in English characters as chapaguri), which was translated in English subtitles to "ram-don."In the movie, the inexpensive noodle dish is dressed up with an expensive cut of meat, adding to the film's commentary on the difference between the wealthy and the poor.
A day after the movie won at the Oscars, Nongshim posted a video to its US YouTube channel about making the "Parasite Chapaguri Recipe."The Korea Herald reported that while foreign audiences might be new to jjapaguri, the Nongshim instant noodles in the video have been popular in Korea's billion-dollar instant noodle market since the 1980s. Beer company Cass posted its congratulations on Twitter in Korean and English, posting a photo of the Oscar trophy walking into the house from the film carrying a case of the beer saying, "Knock knock. Celebrations, anyone?"
Korean cosmetics company Laneige launched a series of ads before the film won the Oscar, as Polygon reported in January.In the ads, one of the film's actors, Park Myung-hoon, promotes the companies skincare products while referencing his character's plight from the movie.
Congrats on the First Korean film to be awarded an Oscar! #Parasite- 카스 CASS 공식 트위터 (@CASS_digital) February 10, 2020
For those who love #BongHive but yet to know his other famous pieces, check below!
- A Higher Animal (2000)
- Mother (2009)#RekomenFilem #koreanmovie #Oscars2020 #Oscars #BongJoonHo #ChoiWooShik#Cass pic.twitter.com/VKg5htKYaB