Orders on Amazon, Flipkart, Snapdeal show Indians are preparing to stay home for a long time
- The most popular items on
Amazon, Flipkart, Snapdealshow that Indians are actually getting ready to stay home for a long time as they bought products to make life at home easier.
- Both Amazon and Flipkart saw a 9X increase in the number of sellers coming back to the platform for business.
- Within the first 24 hours of opening up of e-commerce, Amazon saw a 31X growth in demand for robotic vacuum cleaners, 10X for dumbbells & weights and more.
AdvertisementWith Lockdown 4.0, e-commerce companies in India finally began selling non-essential items across the nation. E-retailers like Amazon, Flipkart have seen a huge surge in demand ever since then.
Both Amazon and Flipkart saw a 9X increase in the number of sellers coming back to the platform for business. “We are proud to see a 9X spike in the number of sellers and MSMEs resuming business this week, compared to the first week of the nationwide lockdown,” said a Flipkart spokesperson.
But interestingly, the most popular items on Amazon show that Indians are actually getting ready to stay home for a long time as they bought products to make life at home easier.
Within the first 24 hours of opening up of e-commerce, Amazon saw a 31X growth in demand for robotic vacuum cleaners, 10X for dumbbells & weights, 23X for dishwashers, 12.5X for bicycle trainers, women’s flip flops witnessing 2.3X growth, 3.5X in innerwear, 3.9X seen for guitars and 3.6X for children’s books, as compared to the lockdown phase.
“We are humbled by the customer response and geared up to meet the pent up demand for priority products that customers need over a prolonged period of lockdown. The sellers on Amazon.in have seen orders for consumer electronics, kitchen & home appliances, smart devices, laptops, phone accessories, apparel and more. Work from home and online schooling enablers such as laptops, books, headphones and computer accessories continue to interest customers,” said an Amazon spokesperson.
Meanwhile, Flipkart saw a hike in the demand for kitchen appliances including Hand Blenders, Microwave Ovens and Induction cooktops as well as fans, air coolers and air conditioners
“Considering more people are spending time with families who have different entertainment, professional and educational needs, there is a growing requirement for multiple screens in a single household. This is reflected in the high demand for Mobiles, Tablets, Laptops, and Televisions, all of which have doubled in demand. Fashion choices have become more functional. Inner-wear and Lounge-wear are seeing an increased demand, with women's sleepwear witnessing a very good growth,” said a Flipkart spokesperson.
Similar trends were also seen at Snapdeal as personal grooming products, work from home needs like monitors, keyboards, extension cords, external hard disk, were among the most ordered items.
This Indian angel investment platform has invested in eight cos in 60 days and plans to fund startups every week
Renault to axe 15,000 jobs worldwide— 1,500 employees in India await their fate
Microsoft and Mukesh Ambani's Reliance Jio are already partners in India— but Satya Nadella reportedly wants more
Popular on BI
- How to use the realistic crying face filter on Snapchat
- Elon Musk praised Netflix for telling employees to quit if they couldn't work on content they disagreed with. He previously bashed the platform as having a 'woke mind virus.'
- The Terra LUNA crypto crash has sparked the debate on ‘true’ decentralisation
- Microsoft 'Cloud for Sustainability' listing carbon reduction and sustainability goals to be available from June 1
- Students are now preferring to work in big corporates over startups
- Uber announces new features for wedding guests, business events and more
- WhatsApp update: Users will soon be able to exit groups silently
- India's wholesale inflation rises further to 15.08% in April from 14.55% a month ago