Check Out These Award-Winning Images Of Things You Can't Normally See
These images showcase the minute structures, cells, and living creatures we might come across in our daily lives but never notice. When magnified, however, these tiny things are revealed in all their breathtaking beauty.
The contest is an annual competition that features the work of scientists and photographers from around the world.
First-time first-place winner Rogelio Moreno of Panama won for his image of a miniscule freshwater creature known as the rotifer. Moreno captured the tiny critter with its mouth open - a chance event.
"When you see that movement, you fall in love. I thought, 'Wow, that is amazing. I can't believe what I'm seeing. This is something very, very beautiful,'" Moreno said in a press release. "I hope now it can inspire others as much as it has inspired me - to learn about science, to look closely and notice something truly amazing."
In addition to the top 20 award winners, we've included a selection of honorable mentions and images of distinction.
- I took a new job in a remote location after my divorce. There aren't many people to date, but I'm happy staying single.
- Elon Musk hits out at viral videos of DINK couples, saying there's an 'awful morality' to those who choose not to have children
- Married couples often share high blood pressure, study shows
- 8 Irresistible seasonal snacks to warm your winter days
- Vijay Shekhar Sharma says 'Wed in India' is a good idea for its food options
- NCLAT stays CCI penalty on NTPC in Ratnagiri Gas & Power shares issue
- A Japanese Start-Up Is Testing a Rocket Powered Entirely By Rocket Fuel Created From Cow Dung!
- Amazon sues scammers for stealing millions of dollars via fake returns