How Viking Global became the hedge-fund industry's hottest launch pad
- Grant Wonders, a top performer at
Viking Global, raised $1 billion to launch his own hedge fund.
- Six other alumni of Andreas Halvorsen's $60 billion empire have launched funds in recent years.
Since Dan Sundheim's massively successful launch of D1 Capital in 2018, there have been six more spinoffs from Viking Global that have collectively raised billions — and at least two more are in the works.
Among them: Grant Wonders, 31, who launched Voyager Global last year, raising over $1 billion. Funds on the way include Divya Nettimi's Avala Global, which is expected to raise more than $1 billion, and 30-year-old Jeff Butler's unnamed firm, which is in the process of raising money.
The flurry of activity has industry insiders crowning Andreas Halvorsen's $47 billion Viking as the new go-to training ground for hot hedge-fund launches — not unlike Julian Robertson's Tiger Management and its many spinoffs, which are dubbed Tiger Cubs.
Industry experts and former Viking employees told Insider the unusual level of demand for Viking's alums was a testament to the firm's two decades of strong returns — as well as a culture that empowers its stock pickers with more autonomy than most competitors.
"For a new fund, what's really important to them is the DNA of where the person is coming from," Ilana Weinstein, the founder of the recruiting firm IDW Group, said.
Subscribers can read more about the Viking effect here:
Viking Global's entrepreneurial DNA has set it apart from rival Tiger Cubs and made it the most popular training ground for new hedge fund launches in the process
And keep reading to learn more Wonders. Ex-colleagues say he's brilliant, adventurous, and unfazed by Wall Street's high-stakes environment:
- Elon Musk said Twitter will start showing users how many people have seen their tweets, and got Jack Dorsey's approval
- Elon Musk reportedly told workers at his brain-chip startup to imagine they had bombs strapped to their heads to make them work faster
- A janitor laid off at Twitter's headquarters said one of Elon Musk's team members told him he'd be replaced by robots
- Best mattress in India
- Rupee gains 10 paise to close at 82.28 against US dollar
- Sensex, Nifty50 log declines to close the week in red – IT, PSU banks and energy stocks drag
- Over 1.83 lakh Indians renounced their citizenship till October says external affairs ministry
- BharatPe files arbitration to claw back co-founder Ashneer Grover's unvested 1.4% shares
- Realme10 Pro Plus Mobile
- Gig jobs
- Sula Vineyards IPO
- Whatsapp tips
- International Roaming Plans
- RBI hikes repo rate
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Most Valuable Companies
- Most searched movies
- Adani Enterprises
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World