How Viking Global became the hedge-fund industry's hottest launch pad
- Grant Wonders, a top performer at
Viking Global, raised $1 billion to launch his own hedge fund.
- Six other alumni of Andreas Halvorsen's $60 billion empire have launched funds in recent years.
Since Dan Sundheim's massively successful launch of D1 Capital in 2018, there have been six more spinoffs from Viking Global that have collectively raised billions — and at least two more are in the works.
Among them: Grant Wonders, 31, who launched Voyager Global last year, raising over $1 billion. Funds on the way include Divya Nettimi's Avala Global, which is expected to raise more than $1 billion, and 30-year-old Jeff Butler's unnamed firm, which is in the process of raising money.
The flurry of activity has industry insiders crowning Andreas Halvorsen's $47 billion Viking as the new go-to training ground for hot hedge-fund launches — not unlike Julian Robertson's Tiger Management and its many spinoffs, which are dubbed Tiger Cubs.
Industry experts and former Viking employees told Insider the unusual level of demand for Viking's alums was a testament to the firm's two decades of strong returns — as well as a culture that empowers its stock pickers with more autonomy than most competitors.
"For a new fund, what's really important to them is the DNA of where the person is coming from," Ilana Weinstein, the founder of the recruiting firm IDW Group, said.
Subscribers can read more about the Viking effect here:
Viking Global's entrepreneurial DNA has set it apart from rival Tiger Cubs and made it the most popular training ground for new hedge fund launches in the process
And keep reading to learn more Wonders. Ex-colleagues say he's brilliant, adventurous, and unfazed by Wall Street's high-stakes environment:
Grant Wonders took Viking by storm and became one of the most profitable analysts in history. Now, the 31-year-old is building Voyager Global into a juggernaut of his own.
- Sensex, Nifty slip for second day; FMCG, IT stocks drag
- Air India puts together 'huge financing deal' for new fleet: CEO
- Marine species including whales and dolphins under significant threat from noise pollution
- ITR filing: Your guide to Form 26AS and why you should check for TDS discrepancies
- A complete itinerary for your 3 days in Mount Abu