Karnataka becomes the first state in India to provide reservation for transgenders in all government services
The final notification issued on July 6, specifies one per cent reservation in all general as well as reserve categories for the third gender. Whenever a notification is published inviting applications for the government jobs, 'others' column must be added along with male and female columns. The notification also underlines that there should not be any discrimination to the transgenders in the process of selection.
In case of non-availability of transgender candidates, the job could be given to male or female from the same category, the notification notes.
'Sangama', an NGO had filed a Public Interest Petition (
The public prosecutor appearing for the government, Vijay Kumar Patil, informed the Bench that the government has provided the one per cent horizontal reservation in government recruitments by bringing amendment to the existing rule.
Jayna Kothari, a senior advocate who has also submitted a petition from 'Jeeva' NGO argued that the present amendment accommodated third gender in government services. However, the court should give directions to ensure job opportunities in various boards and corporations, she underlined.
The High Court Divisional Bench told her that, if a separate petition is filed in this regard, it would consider giving directions to the government. The bench has also asked the prosecutor appearing for the Central government to specify its stand on the matter. The High Court welcomed and commended the action of the government.
PolicyBazaar plans to raise close to $870 million through its IPO at a likely valuation of $3.5 billion
Samsung to unveil Galaxy Z Fold and Galaxy Z Flip foldable smartphones at its August 11 Galaxy Unpacked event
Popular on BI
- An Apple executive is leaving the company after being filmed joking about fondling 'big-breasted women' in a viral TikTok video
- Bill Gates says political polarization 'may bring it all to an end' and could even lead to a civil war
- To beat the traffic of Bangalore, you can now book a 12-minute helicopter ride
- Microsoft, Redington present Simplifying Transformation, an event on enterprises’ digital journeys
- E-commerce sales will drive credit cards spends in September, says report
- Richest entrepreneurs under 40 named in the IIFL Wealth Hurun list became more richer by 12% in last one year
- Time taken to deliver items & returns are the key pain points for e-comm consumers
- DGCI allows Serum Institute to export malaria vaccine to UK