MakeMyTrip CEO is one of 10,000 people planning a protest against air pollution in Gurgaon on Sunday
- A Citizen Mass Meet is being organized to demand corrective measures to fight
- 10,000 people are expected to get together for a peaceful
- The protest It will take place at Leisure Valley in
Gurgaonon Sunday morning.
The Citizen Mass Meet is being organized to demand corrective measures to fight air pollution - with the hope of avoiding it once again. A peaceful protest is being planned at Leisure Valley in Gurgaon on Sunday morning.
The protestors are hoping to find an amicable solution to stubble burning, watching unauthorized construction and burning of coal and wood, better public transportation – and expanding green cover.
One of the people attending the protest is
“I am very pained about what’s going on. It’s no fun wearing masks. We deserve better. As taxpaying citizens, we need to have people’s voices heard. The idea is to put pressure – let’s take immediate steps and more importantly, we need to ensure that this shouldn’t happen next year,” he said.
Kalra listed a few things that can be done immediately – loose dust needs to be contained and construction sites need to be covered. He also said that residences and societies should give electricity or heaters to their guards and ensure they do not use wood or coal to light open fires.
An important step in all of this is containing vehicular population. However, Kalra believes it will take time.
“We should have moved to hybrids or EVs long back. We should have given tax breaks to hybrids and told the same companies that you can import for 2-3 years but after that set up a line here,” he said.
- Chhattisgarh records 2,551 new COVID-19 cases, 29 deaths
- Ahmedabad reports 193 new COVID-19 cases, 256 recoveries
- Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti - Interesting facts about the 'father of the nation'
- 1,108 COVID-19 cases in Nashik, tally reaches 76,984
- Surat district records 288 COVID-19 cases, 299 recoveries